SDE Intern

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool place, lots of smart people around. Good pay.

Cons

Company doesnt offer any perks.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com

1. Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Pros

A lot of technical questions.

Cons

Sort of a slow process.

Must Love Panic Attacks

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazon is innovative and moves quickly--you'll have the opportunity to learn a lot in a short amount of time--if you don't burn out first.

Cons

After speaking with numerous other ex-Amazonians, I can honestly say I'm not alone when I tell people this company has given me post traumatic stress disorder. When people at Amazon say the teams "run lean," that means they hire one person to do the job of multiple people. Be prepared to be overwhelmed by the amount of work that needs to be done and the long hours you'll work (there's a reason they issue you a laptop here--so you can come home from the office and continue working). Some folks love to work at a constant fever pitch because it motivates them, but it inevitably takes its toll--the company has a ridiculously high turnover rate because of burnout. You might think all of the current employment opportunities at the company are because they're expanding. Not really--they're mostly constantly trying to refill positions where folks have freaked out and left. If you don't have a social life or home life, and want to constantly be on-call, then this may be the place for you. if, however, you want to work for a place that cares a little more about their employees and less about their bottom line, look elsewhere. Yes, the company seems to pay well, and it can be exciting to work there, but you might need to be on anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds to do it...

Advice to Management

For Pete's sake, hire more people! I know it's like hitting the jackpot when you find a single person who has the skills to do 5 different jobs, but that doesn't mean you should make them do it! Respect that an employee wants to give you their best, and that it's difficult to do when they're completely overwhelmed and no one cares enough to fix the problem.