There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Amazon will eat your soul

Current Employee - Software Engineer I  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part about Amazon is its focus on ownership. You really have the opportunity to contribute to your project, and in more ways than just "here's the feature, code it up". You get to think of how you want to improve the project and are encouraged to do so in anyway you can.

There's not much to say about compensation and benefits. They're around average, but I still list it as a pro.

Free snacks in the kitchen.

Cons

I can't imagine having less work-life balance.

We don't get sick days, so when you get sick you come in to work and give whatever you have to everyone else (and they return the favor, hooray!). They don't bother mentioning it in the offer, so it comes as a pretty big shock when you get sick - "Oh, by the way we're the only major company ever to not offer sick days." Of course you can take some of your very limited vacation days instead if you want (that is, if you even have any saved up).

Another perk they don't tell you about: being on call. They don't have Ops teams here and barely have Customer Service, so as an SDE you get to play both. Getting paged at 3am for issues beyond your control is not a lot of fun, and neither is responding to customer issues all day with "this behavior is expected".

And I hear if you're in Seattle, it's even worse (as in, even less work-life balance). God help our Seattle brethren.

Management is pretty open about the high turnover rate (gee, I wonder why people are leaving) with the average person leaving after about 6 months. So my advice would be: If you're *that* aware of the problem, *do something* about it. Let me recover when I'm sick. Stop taking your product so seriously that if a small portion is down for a few minutes you need to wake up your devs to "fix" it (sit around and wait for it to fix itself).

3485 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Senior Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with very smart individuals.

Cons

Jack of all trades and take on workload of BI. Work on nights and weekends to fulfill all requests.

Good company, but easy to burn out

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging. Innovative. Iterates to perfection. Customer-centric.

Cons

Bureaucratic. Overburdens employees. Cheap, not frugal.

Hire for the work needed rather than assign work to whomever is available.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!