Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Must Love Panic Attacks

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazon is innovative and moves quickly--you'll have the opportunity to learn a lot in a short amount of time--if you don't burn out first.

Cons

After speaking with numerous other ex-Amazonians, I can honestly say I'm not alone when I tell people this company has given me post traumatic stress disorder. When people at Amazon say the teams "run lean," that means they hire one person to do the job of multiple people. Be prepared to be overwhelmed by the amount of work that needs to be done and the long hours you'll work (there's a reason they issue you a laptop here--so you can come home from the office and continue working).

Some folks love to work at a constant fever pitch because it motivates them, but it inevitably takes its toll--the company has a ridiculously high turnover rate because of burnout. You might think all of the current employment opportunities at the company are because they're expanding. Not really--they're mostly constantly trying to refill positions where folks have freaked out and left. If you don't have a social life or home life, and want to constantly be on-call, then this may be the place for you. if, however, you want to work for a place that cares a little more about their employees and less about their bottom line, look elsewhere. Yes, the company seems to pay well, and it can be exciting to work there, but you might need to be on anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds to do it...

For Pete's sake, hire more people! I know it's like hitting the jackpot when you find a single person who has the skills to do 5 different jobs, but that doesn't mean you should make them do it! Respect that an employee wants to give you their best, and that it's difficult to do when they're completely overwhelmed and no one cares enough to fix the problem.

3865 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Horrible place

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

big name on resume, you will learn to see the things end to end

Cons

Salary is less compared to other leaders in industry, absolutely no work life balance, no training, no personal development, no good leaders in upper management. The management can take time to complete its deliverables but SDEs do not get extension on deadlines. Too much politics in the organization. Amazon.com Shipping/Transportation dept is the worst department ever for SDEs. The SDMs look like kids from kindergarten with absolutely no people management skills.

I am sure amazon.com Stock is a big bubble which will burst very soon. Company has 30-40% growth in revenue but the profit is negative

What You'd Expect from #1

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-You're working at the #1 online retailer in the world, thus many of the projects you work on are truly meaningful and rewarding.
    -You're working with tons of other passionate, overachiever, type-A, business geniuses who genuinely care about the success of the company. Lots of employees are loyal Amazon customers and are working to ensure that the company continues to provide great selection, prices, and customer service. I learned so much from my colleagues, and they inspired me every day.
    -The new campus is a great working environment. There are tons of dining options nearby, in a variety of price ranges. Parking (if you can land a subsidized spot in a garage) is pretty affordable, dogs are allowed in the buildings, which makes for a relaxing midday break, lots of offices have views of the water, the Space Needle, or the mountains, and there's easy access to downtown, Capitol Hill, or Queen Anne.
    -Compensation is top-notch. You work hard, yes, but Amazon compensates handsomely in return for all that stress and 60-hour workweeks.

Cons

-Amazon can be a pressure-cooker sometimes. It's often extremely stressful, especially during Q4. Plan on having your work email and calendar on your smartphone, and plan on getting urgent emails from upper management in the evenings, weekends, during holidays, you name it. You're expected to be unofficially on-call 24 hours a day.
    -Advancement here is notoriously difficult, especially in the lower-level jobs. I've known dozens of employees who spent 5+ years in the same job, even with excellent reviews.

Overall I think Amazon is a fantastic place to work, especially for those hired on as mid-level or senior management. Keep it up!

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com