Amazon.com
3.4 of 5 2,792 reviews
www.amazon.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

Not a company to work for long term

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary is probably on the high side compared to other hi-tech companies for the equivalent positions, though no where near compared to Google or Facebook.
Company outlook looks good.

ConsWork/life balance is probably the worst for SDE's in the hi-tech industry.
Oncall experience can be really bad and you have to work at nights but yet the manager stills expects you to work next day during day time.
Work is fast-paced and majority of projects are short-term thinking. They just want to lure the customers in and worry about the rest later.
Health insurance benefits is on the bad side compared to other hi-tech companies.
The signing stocks grant may be attractive but don't expect the same after 4 years. Basically you should look for jobs elsewhere after 4 years unless you perform on the top 10% compared against peers.
I have unfortunately worked for some mean managers who clearly indicated that you have to work overtime on a regular basis to get work done, no matter how unreasonable the schedule is.
The commute becomes bad now since they moved to SLU campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat your employees well and treat old and new employees equally well. The pay structure clearly favors the new-hires.

Amazonian

Technical Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: compensation/RSUs, innovative culture, fast pace, allows dogs, opportunity for advancement Cons: work life balance, career development is often self-driven Advice to Senior Management: Find more ways to show you value your employees contribution… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Fun environment, many opportunities

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros: The pay is good, and there's a great work environment there, with many chances to prove yourself.… Cons: There are not nearly as many perks as working at a place like Google. Above the base salary, the only other good perks is the… Advice to Senior Management: Loosen up some and give your trusted employees the same kinds of perks… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.