There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Great company becoming good!

Current Employee - HRBP in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - HRBP in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity! Great work environment with lot's of growth. Opportunities to roll up your sleeves and get work done.

Cons

Way too many hires from Microsoft and the company is becoming bureaucratic with a lot of posing and undermining others. Before you did not have to worry about politics and could focus on your work but now work has aloes down, more meetings and ess productivity. Many old Amazonian's have left, not simply from stock vest but because the work-people are coming to the company since the stock has done well, not because they want to work hard, have fun and make history!

Advice to Management

Do something to screen people who are interested in the company for greed and a self interest. HR needs improvement. No ethics!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

They treat you really well, but there's still politics

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation, talented people, pretty interesting projects that impact millions of people on a regular basis. You can see your changes have dramatic affects on the companies bottom line.

Cons

You don't do very much visual design. Amazon makes so many VERY small changes that it gets to be a bit boring if you're more interested in DESIGN instead of min maxing the smallest details with web labs and A/B testing.

Advice to Management

Take more risks and innovate on a larger scale without being so timid and immediately rolling back changes when a small population gets upset because they dont understand how useful a change will be.

Growing too fast, things slipping through the cracks

Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coaching. Employee Discounts. Customers that are appreciative of assistance. Opportunity to telecommute. Chance to earn prizes and bonus.

Cons

Cost of BYOD [bring your own device] far more than communicated and ultimately far less valid given the limited seasonal employment. Probably spent at least my first week's pay covering the cost of working there for 3 or 4 months. HR is not very competent. Told I would be hired, then ap lost had to drive across state to another recruiting drive elsewhere to get situation addressed. Also scheduling tools inaccurate - dinged for taking time systems said I had. Also was yanked back and forth on holiday scheduling multiple times daily during holiday weeks as to whether I would be working. Showed up then told I wasn't on schedule. Felt training was inconsistent. Great to have it, but some trainers were not very knowledgeable. Lots of valuable time wasted on silly stuff. System errors often caused need to retake tests, and some answers were not current. Tactfully / constructively mentioned errors but not sure feedback was entirely appreciated :-) My metrics / ratings were good but not hired on post season at the last minute. Cannot get unemployment because they haven't filed my income with the state. Lost out on a new job because last step was potential employer need to get more than an employment verification. Cannot apply for jobs with Amazon from outside because the system still thinks I work there and need to apply via the internal system.

Advice to Management

Growth & taking risks is great -- just don't become the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Probably would have rated you three stars while I was there. Dropped to one based on how things shook out and how poorly treated after giving heart and soul during holiday peak.