Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Great place to gain experience, cash in on it when you leave.

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

You are a part of a company on the cutting edge of ecommerce technology. When working with other companies you have a considerable degree of clout given Amazon's place in the marketplace. Great focus on the customer experience as well as amazing efficiencies on the operations side.

Cons

Given it's size and success, Amazon has a difficult time "playing well with others." They commonly engage in bullying and stonewalling their partners and this makes it difficult to build long term positive relationships.

Treat your partners with the same respect you treat your customers.

4173 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Great company for customers and shareholders, but only so-so for engineers

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

I'm a career software developer, so my review will be slanted toward the environment Amazon provides for engineers. I can't speak to what it's like to work in the operations, retail or other areas of the company.

The single best reason to work here is that Amazon has done a good job hiring smart people. I'm surrounded by people with a variety of different talents, whether it's design skills, algorithms knowledge or general programming skills. I am consistently stretched in my development by being exposed to different, intelligent viewpoints. That's mixture of DNA is vital to a thriving environment where people continue to learn and stay engaged.

One of Amazon's other key strengths is its ability to remain focused on customers and building long-term value. I've worked here for over 10 years, and we've consistently found innovative ways to improve the experience for customers. Many projects don't reap immediate profit or cost savings rewards, but because they're the right long-term move for the company, we do them anyway. That's great to see as a long-term employee.

Cons

Amazon started out with a huge focus on software and technology, but over time, that has given way toward operations and retail. We are not a software company, if we ever were. Software quality is not a priority in any meaningful sense of the term. Software projects are driven by operational and project deadlines. We're slowly starting to realize that short-siding quality hurts in the long term, but software development is still incredibly focused on the short-term. Any project that requires coordination across multiple teams (most do) becomes a nightmare, as we have lost most of our previously-effective project management talent.

The culture here as become infected by turf wars, something I saw change as the company grew quickly and hired senior management from other companies. Many teams now focus on "their" projects and are reluctant or unwilling to help others. It's a shame to see this become part of the company DNA, as most software teams I've worked with seem biased toward cooperation. The fierce competition for resources and constant bottomless list of scaling and growth projects leaves very little room for discretionary projects. Part of this is the result of successful growth at the company, so it could be worse.

Round-the-clock support is also expected of software engineers. Although there is good coverage from support teams, someone is on-call 24-7 on most teams. You are expected to be no more than 15 minutes away from a dial-in/VPN location at all times when on-call. That doesn't even give me time to go to Costco, and makes commuting a pain.

Over time you get the engineers you deserve. I worry that Amazon's senior management is good at long-term company planning but just not interested in building a great place for software engineers to work. The people are smart, but egos aren't lacking either. I stay here because of the talented engineers, but if I found a smaller company with less politics and more humility, I'd leave even if it cost me 10-20% on salary. Being happy at your workplace is a huge plus, and senior management seems indifferent to workplace quality. It's often attributed to frugality, but at some point it's foolish not to provide a workplace that people *want* to show up to. Smallish cubicles are the norm; bikes and pets aren't allowed in the buildings (except one); office furniture is extremely crappy; Apple laptops are unsupported and even prohibited.

I love what I do and am glad I get to do it Amazon.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Smart people and fun, casual environment where you are given tremendous responsibility from day 1

Cons

Chaos rules. Your experience can depend upon the team you work for and your manager.

Keep doing what you're doing - it's working!

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com