There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Avoid it at all cost if you are not a workaholic

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- You will be able to learn a lot here. There are many interesting problems to be solved and you can be owner of the project pretty quickly.
- Seattle. While it gets really cloudy from September to April, it has really nice summer weather. Also, it does not snow much.
- Flexible hours. You can come to office pretty late and leave late if you have to.
- 401k, medical insurance.
- Free coffee, tea, and hot cocoa. You can have as many as you want.
- You can bring your dog to the office. You will be able to meet a lot of dogs here.
- Decent base salary with stocks. Amazon gives you decent amount of salary.

Cons

- On-call rotation. You will have to carry a pager and be in an alert 24 hours because one of software that you manage can go down, and system needs a way to tell you about it. It is not fun for anyone to wake up 3am or 6am in the morning once in a week to solve the problem. This brings a lot of time to be spent on operation rather than developing your skill sets.
- Bad work/life balance. Tight dead lines. On Thursday, some problem gets escalated and you need to solve it by next Monday, before your manager's meeting, which means you have to spend your weekend. This happens very frequently depending on your team.
- Not so much room for salary increase. Amount of increase of your salary will probably the lowest in the industry unless you get promoted. If you are exceptional but did not get promoted, you will likely get about inflation rate (or lower) increase in salary. You will soon be able to find out that people who joined a year or two later than you getting higher salary with less skills.
- Frugality. You don't get free food or perks. You will have to work everything on your single monitor and they will not accept your request to have multiple monitors.
- This is just a minor thing but 780 square feet office with 11 developers and 2 managers isn't a good place to focus on your work. You will be able to hear a dog barking every other 10 minutes in the office next to you.

Amazon is infamous for high turn over rate, and obviously, there is reason for that. The management needs to realize the cost of developers leaving the company, and treat employees well to prevent it. Otherwise, developers will leave and future developers will need to catch up and clean past works, while keeping tight deadline for new projects.

3666 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Some good opportunities but will mostly just use you

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people working there so you can network and meet people that might help you with your career. If you get a position where you enjoy the actual work, you will get to do it All the time so if you love what you do, there is no shortage of work. It is rarely dull. There is good opportunity to work on your portfolio/experience etc.

Cons

There is very little work life balance here. Prepare to have to work all the time. Unless you have a really good manager, you are going to feel like just a number where there is very little care for you and your time. I experienced extremely negative and detrimental treatment while working here. In fact, if I didn't have obvious good work in my portfolio, my experience with Amazon could of ruined my career entirely. They brought me in for my skills, had me teach them to others, and then simply treated me like something disposable that could be thrown out like trash when they didn't want to pay me anymore. Alot of the managers aren't on the cutting edge of technology like they try to say and live in a little conservative bubble. Outside the box thinking is going extinct there. Most people working there are extremely angry all the time and burnt out. They think throwing more developers at a problem will fix it, but some things aren't fixed by more code.

Make the environment positive to work in and end the culture of fear.

Roller coaster of change

Current Employee - Process Assistant
    Current Employee - Process Assistant

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunities to influence change are abundant. Continuous change, so if you don't like something...just wait around a bit. Lots of OT during the holidays.

Cons

Long days. Can be stressful depending on your position. Lots of OT during the holidays.

Try to be as transparent as possible...it allows your associates to accept change easier.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com