There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Decent Company, although the new management always keeps you on you toe

Current Employee - Seller Support Associate  in  Hyderābād (India)
Current Employee - Seller Support Associate in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary for a fresher, better than current market standards. Dress Code: Wear something

-The job we do at amazon is amazing. Free transport(being the only reason for retention)
-data driven culture (can be manipulated by the management)
-high growth possibility (If you have the right people to back you)
-Recent management has a pathetic approach towards employees, otherwise all good

Cons

Every passing day a new con would arise. The list might be too lengthy

Please change your approach. Treat us like fellow employees, not slaves.

3503 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Great company - should watch out for culture retention while expanding internationally

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Start up environment
    - Great autonomy
    - Data driven culture
    - High growth possibilities
    - Management willing to let you experiment and make mistakes

Cons

- Real Amazon culture is in US - which is Awesome. Indian environment often sees fake manifestations to apply the typical political grind under the cover of Amazon leadership principles.
    - Yes - your manager can play a big role in your ratings; despite the peer feedback
    - Bad appraisal process in general
    - Be prepared to stick in the salary range your got with offer for some time. Monetary growth is puny and promotions need blood and sweat.

As I said above - We should be cognizant if the hired leaders can true carry the great Amazon culture baton successfully.
    Please make salary increments practically acceptable.

Say hello to work and goodbye to life

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Amazing customer focus. I've worked for some top companies, and I've not seen customer focus like in Amazon.
    * Pays slightly better in cash than other similar companies; this comparison falls flat if you bring in other benefits into the picture (Amazon has nothing there)
    * If you like rapid changes and find excitement in firefighting, you'll like the work in most teams

Cons

* Absolutely no work-life balance. You are basically expected to work weekends often, and it is assumed that you will join late night calls every day.
    * On Call. If you're interviewing with them, ask them about it. They generally don't mention it to you till you've joined. Your mobile number is entered into the system, and anytime there is an issue in production, you will get a message and you are expected to login and take a look within 15 mins. This could happen anytime while you are on-call; 3am or when you are with friends on weekends... Oh, they'll give you a datacard though, so you can carry your laptop wherever you go and login and work when they ask you to. One thing that makes it slightly better is that the team takes it in turns, so you are on-call about one week every month (will vary by team size and other factors).
    * Absolutely no respect for personal space. I was called 8 times from office (about work) when I had explicitly told them I was out of office attending a funeral. When my friend's dad was hospitalized, he was asked to send a report within an hour, despite the fact that he was in the hospital with his father.
    * Minimal benefits. Amazon takes frugality to an extreme. If you even make the mistake of joining there, "Frugality" is one of the core principles/values that they will advertise during your new employee orientation, and you will hear this word a LOT during your stay at Amazon.
    * A minor gripe - their stock vesting cycle is designed that you lost a lot of stock whenever you leave the company. Here's what you get after completing:
    1 year - 5%
    2 years - 15%
    2.5 yrs - 20%
    3 years - 20%
    3.5 yrs - 20%
    4 years - 20%
    So anytime you leave, you lose all stock awarded within the last 1 year, 95% of the stock awarded between 1yr and 2yrs ago, 80% of the stock awarded between 2yrs and 2.5yrs ago and so on.
    I quit in around 1 year and 11 months. 3 weeks more would've given me a considerable amount of stock, but I decided not to wait; it was that bad.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!