Say hello to work and goodbye to life

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Amazing customer focus. I've worked for some top companies, and I've not seen customer focus like in Amazon.
* Pays slightly better in cash than other similar companies; this comparison falls flat if you bring in other benefits into the picture (Amazon has nothing there)
* If you like rapid changes and find excitement in firefighting, you'll like the work in most teams

Cons

* Absolutely no work-life balance. You are basically expected to work weekends often, and it is assumed that you will join late night calls every day.
* On Call. If you're interviewing with them, ask them about it. They generally don't mention it to you till you've joined. Your mobile number is entered into the system, and anytime there is an issue in production, you will get a message and you are expected to login and take a look within 15 mins. This could happen anytime while you are on-call; 3am or when you are with friends on weekends... Oh, they'll give you a datacard though, so you can carry your laptop wherever you go and login and work when they ask you to. One thing that makes it slightly better is that the team takes it in turns, so you are on-call about one week every month (will vary by team size and other factors).
* Absolutely no respect for personal space. I was called 8 times from office (about work) when I had explicitly told them I was out of office attending a funeral. When my friend's dad was hospitalized, he was asked to send a report within an hour, despite the fact that he was in the hospital with his father.
* Minimal benefits. Amazon takes frugality to an extreme. If you even make the mistake of joining there, "Frugality" is one of the core principles/values that they will advertise during your new employee orientation, and you will hear this word a LOT during your stay at Amazon.
* A minor gripe - their stock vesting cycle is designed that you lost a lot of stock whenever you leave the company. Here's what you get after completing:
1 year - 5%
2 years - 15%
2.5 yrs - 20%
3 years - 20%
3.5 yrs - 20%
4 years - 20%
So anytime you leave, you lose all stock awarded within the last 1 year, 95% of the stock awarded between 1yr and 2yrs ago, 80% of the stock awarded between 2yrs and 2.5yrs ago and so on.
I quit in around 1 year and 11 months. 3 weeks more would've given me a considerable amount of stock, but I decided not to wait; it was that bad.

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

If you care about your personal/social life, stay away

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

After working here, you won't find it hard to work anywhere else. 12 hours a day would look normal to you. Perfect place for workaholics.

Cons

Mercenary managers.
    Estimates become commitments.
    Self imposed unreasonable deadlines.
    Death marches towards those deadlines.
    Lack of integrity. Being honest about the scope of work can hurt you under the pretext that you don't show bias for action.
    Whatever you do is not enough. You have to believe there is room for delivering more and work extra hours to deliver more.
    Your work day doesn't end when you leave the office. It spans over your evenings and weekends - until you leave the company.

spend at least 2% of the hiring effort in keeping existing people happy.

A lot to learn, but can get very stressful

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot to learn, everyday you learn something new
    Always proud of what I deliver, something I make

Cons

Can get very demanding and stressful at times
    A little bit of beuracracy can get in at times.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!