There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Say hello to work and goodbye to life

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bangalore (India)
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Amazing customer focus. I've worked for some top companies, and I've not seen customer focus like in Amazon. * Pays slightly better in cash than other similar companies; this comparison falls flat if you bring in other benefits into the picture (Amazon has nothing there) * If you like rapid changes and find excitement in firefighting, you'll like the work in most teams

Cons

* Absolutely no work-life balance. You are basically expected to work weekends often, and it is assumed that you will join late night calls every day. * On Call. If you're interviewing with them, ask them about it. They generally don't mention it to you till you've joined. Your mobile number is entered into the system, and anytime there is an issue in production, you will get a message and you are expected to login and take a look within 15 mins. This could happen anytime while you are on-call; 3am or when you are with friends on weekends... Oh, they'll give you a datacard though, so you can carry your laptop wherever you go and login and work when they ask you to. One thing that makes it slightly better is that the team takes it in turns, so you are on-call about one week every month (will vary by team size and other factors). * Absolutely no respect for personal space. I was called 8 times from office (about work) when I had explicitly told them I was out of office attending a funeral. When my friend's dad was hospitalized, he was asked to send a report within an hour, despite the fact that he was in the hospital with his father. * Minimal benefits. Amazon takes frugality to an extreme. If you even make the mistake of joining there, "Frugality" is one of the core principles/values that they will advertise during your new employee orientation, and you will hear this word a LOT during your stay at Amazon. * A minor gripe - their stock vesting cycle is designed that you lost a lot of stock whenever you leave the company. Here's what you get after completing: 1 year - 5% 2 years - 15% 2.5 yrs - 20% 3 years - 20% 3.5 yrs - 20% 4 years - 20% So anytime you leave, you lose all stock awarded within the last 1 year, 95% of the stock awarded between 1yr and 2yrs ago, 80% of the stock awarded between 2yrs and 2.5yrs ago and so on. I quit in around 1 year and 11 months. 3 weeks more would've given me a considerable amount of stock, but I decided not to wait; it was that bad.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com

Slough Head Office High Staff Turnover

Current Employee - Current Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many new starters who think it`s great that they`ve got in through the doors of Amazon

Cons

So many people leaving. People who only started a few weeks before and many employees who`ve been there years are also leaving the uncaring atmosphere. Some staff will leave to go to other jobs but I`ve never known so many people leave to do NOTHING! They have no job to go to, they simply cant take anymore of working for Amazon and feeling like they`ve been chewed up and spat out. That says alot about a company.

Advice to Management

Stop this "you dont like it? We`ll find somebody else who does" attitude. You`ve lost many amazing people over the years because you treated them so badly.

Corporate Analyst at "Burn and Churn" Company SLOUGH

Former Employee - Finance Analyst in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good brand on your CV Overview of different approach to ordinary problems (Amazon way is so peculiar that your experience won't be of any utility in another corporation), this should go in the Cons!! Initial enthusiasm No dress code

Cons

Work life balance is non - existent. The amount of work will grow with time as the Company is growing at incredible pace. Still you will have to perform to advance but also to simply keep your job. This means working long hours every day and all the weekends with the Company laptop, that all the employees have. Working smart means passing the ball that would not compromise your performance but most important you network, of course at detriment of the less connected colleagues. In this way your surviving will depend on your ability to step on the heads of the most "weak" employees, creating an awful "dog eat dog" environment. Political wars beetwen managers can last months and normally end up in the resignation of the looser and the elimination of all the looser followers. The aim of many managers seems the survival in the Company at total detriment of the efficiency of the systems, in this way, problems are left unresolved due to lack of support in the resolution until they become a case, old owners let go and new owners, more politically placed provide an adequate (or not, this is not relevant) solution. Must be a case that the majority of people leave before the 2 years of permanent employment, before the vesting of the Shares, so that the Company keeps the majority of the shares inhouse. Many people leave with no other job at hand, as mental sanity become more important than having an employment.

Advice to Management

I believe the Company is exactly where it wants to be.