There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Not sure about this role

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Smart peers, fun environment, doggies! Developers and product managers are key to the success of each team.

Cons

Middle management needs work. Not great at developing direct reports or helping them get to the next level of their career. This is my only experience on one team at Amazon. I'm hoping this is an isolated situation.

Advice to Management

Need to learn to lead by example and help develop the talent they have.

reviews filtered by

Work is dreadfully boring, but pays extremely well

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hebron, KY
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hebron, KY

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Palletizing, stacking totes; so easy a monkey could do it; for the most part, you won't lift more than about 30 lbs...not that heavy.
    As long as you make rate, you are left alone for the most part.
    Most employees are very nice and respectful.
    The job pays extremely good money for such easy work---especially night shift
    4 nights a week (off-peak)

Cons

The job procedures are a bit nitpicky (EX: above 4 pallets, get a partner, which ain't always possible especially when there are few people on the EOL line and you get weighed down with so many totes)

Some associates like to boss you around as if they are your supervisors...annoying

The job is extremely boring and tiresome; you do the same thing over and over and over for weeks and weeks before being given another assignment

Advice to Management

Make the job more exciting by switching up assignments every other day.

Smoke and Mirrors

Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer (DSE) in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer (DSE) in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, smart people and a 10% Amazon discount across the board. Macbook Pros are nice too.

Cons

Working at AWS in their "Support" department was a real let down for me. I went from owning projects and creating new systems to answering phone calls and chats explaining to moronic customers that they are wrong, how to fix it and then wait for them to fix it while having a read-only view into their environment. My job could be done just as easily without a real computer, I only need some device to stream details out of our many databases.

Indentured servitude. Seriously, soon as you join Amazon you're not allowed to leave for a year or you can owe them over $20,000 really quickly. Beware, only take this job if you want to answer chats and phone calls all day. For anyone who craves or needs hands on, this isn't for you. I'm leaving before I jump off the 27th floor of the building for having my soul sucked out of my chest, I'm eating the bill from Amazon and filing bankruptcy. Nothing else I can hope to do. My personal joy in life is worth more to me than the bragging rights of working at Amazon.

Lunch and food on site is overpriced, management usually hides in their office cubes with no interaction and the emphasis on "numbers" is there even though they claim it's not.

Advice to Management

8 month experienced managers telling people things that are obviously wrong like "The CentOS project is the upstream for RHEL" is ridiculous. Why interview technically if no technical skill is required to do this job? Why not just hire Comcast Tech Support drop outs instead of wasting engineers in the work force?

Explain the job role properly to prospective engineers, you got me in on false pretenses. I want to walk into your office and scream "F*** YOU", but I can't.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com