Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

A place where integrity and intelligence meet ingenuity and creativity to make customers #1

Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to learn, grow, innovate, create, and make history. You have an amazing opportunity to do some amazing things here.

Cons

Work-life balance could be better. They still joke about "owning" you after you become a blue-badge. Working OT is expected and basically a "norm" to survive the pace. Typical work week can be 50+ hours if there is a lot of deadlines to meet.

Communicate better about organization wide changes and business direction.

4385 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Truly a regrettable decision

Former Employee - Area Manager in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Allentown, PA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people that are smart and are capable of doing the position.
    Generous with relocation benefits.
    Very nice stock offerings.
    The first week of training you meet ~50 new managers and make some really good friends. Then 3 months later you attend "Planet of the Ops" and get to spend another fun week with the friends you made the first week.

Cons

Overall it was a regrettable experience and only served to make me regret leaving my previous job and appreciate what I had before. From the beginning I was lied to about what to expect and told things that enticed me to join them. I had hoped working there was a great as being a customer. After you get through their intensive interview process, you will feel like it is a great place to be and that it is everything that you wanted in a job. After they moved me and started at my sight, I realized I had made a mistake. That was only within the first 3 weeks of being there. Associates and mangers are treated as numbers. Your input is not regarded in any decisions and you must accept whatever senior management wants. If you are a leader that cares about the people that work for you, this is not the place to be. Everyone is treated as if they are disposable. During my time there, I saw approximately 30 managers leave from various levels. That equated to an almost 30-40% loss in management. With the losses, no one was replaced and the work volume was dumped on those that remained. When new managers are brought on they send them to a one week training at another facility with 50 other managers to prepare for your new job. The week there is great, but it truly does not prepare you for the madness that is to come. Every week they have 50 new managers in that training. What does that tell you that they can hire 50 new managers every week and continue to always have open positions? They will say it is all the opening of new FC's and constant promotion to higher levels, but the reality is attrition. I asked specifically during my interview and that is the response I got. So if you have read all of this, be careful what you wish for, being employed there is not as great as being a customer.

We are not all just numbers and rates to you. I get efficiency and keeping the best, but you hire the best and then break them.

And I quote, "if you want to have a life, you shouldn't work at Amazon."

Former Employee - Site Merchandiser in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Site Merchandiser in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dogs in the office; Tom Douglas restaurants on campus; buildings have gorgeous views

Cons

0 work/life balance; expectations aren't shared; little to no pride in the company or job; high turnover; review system seems designed to fail

Employees work better when they feel inspired, and when they can sleep soundly at night without having nightmares about work (whether that's being fired or just disappointing management). Expectations for each job should be shared freely, not only when the employee is going through performance coaching due to a poor review. It needs to be easier to be promoted, and a few perks (free Prime, for example) wouldn't hurt...

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com