Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Might be the best of big companies. But still has those big companies' problems.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Irvine, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Pays well. Lots of big things happening. Stable. More flexibility than other big companies

Cons

Office politics. Some arrogant and ignorant non-developer onboard. (Designers, Product Managers etc.) They say it's fast pace, but it's not. There's always something which makes no sense slows you down.

Instead of hiring those consultants or business man, promo developers to product managers!

3960 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Grow as an employee, Grow as an individual.

Current Employee - Smx Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Smx Associate in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, lots of overtime, the chance to contribute to rapidly evolving process changes, resume builder, Management is humble and supportive. Opportunity for advancement despite age. Exiting environment, you feel like you're a part of something big, and its the only job I've ever been exited to wake up and go to.

Cons

Clearly a temporary workforce. Multiple hire/fire cycles throughout the year, usually in correlation. Lots of bending/kneeling on a daily basis, to the point that you either get promoted or wish to quit. Limited visibility when it comes to your own performance. Selfish work environment.

Protect your veterans who're selflessly loyal to the companies core values, these individuals work hard and are an invaluable to this company, yet most often than not are unappreciated. Help your employees understand rate and how exactly it works, there seems to be quite a bit of confusion.

Fired while still in training for asking for an hour of personal time

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was great to be able to work from home
    They take good care of their customers
    Will be in business for a long time

Cons

(Sorry this is so long-- I left my job of five years to work at home for Amazon and was fired while still in training. I want to let prospective employees know how very little it takes to get fired though, and how you may not even know it's coming.

--During interview and recruitment, I was told I would be on a 'chat' team to assist customers with technical issues via instant message. This was not true and I was assigned to a frontline phone support team-- a horrible assignment and definitely not one I would have left my former job for. I really doubt it was intentional but it certainly something they should have told me.

--They called me back a few days after the interview and asked if I could start two days later (!). I could not since I had been with my employer for about five years and wanted to give them two weeks of notice that I was leaving-- only fair since we had a great working relationship and they depended on me for many things. We're still friends outside of work. The recruiter agreed (or said they did, anyway) and rescheduled me for training so that I could give notice and I thought everything was looking good, until training started.

--A little over a week into training, a situation with family came up and I needed an hour of personal time-- I asked for the time and was told how to handle these requests. A couple of days later, I was contacted by my manager (which is pretty funny because didn't know I had one until then) and they wanted to talk about my attendance issues-- surprising since I didn't know I had done something wrong (I didn't say this, of course). About 10 minutes into this call, my manager brought in someone from HR as well. It was immediately clear to me that this was a well-versed routine and that they were trying to pressure me into quitting (which I wouldn't). With the HR person on the call, my manager went on the offensive and immediately asked me why I punched in precisely 20 minutes early every single day--- a really strange accusation since it's completely untrue-- I signed in and out exactly when I was supposed to and I still wonder where this question came from. Did my manager have the wrong person, or was it just an attempt to throw me off or provoke me? I'll probably never find out. We were told in the training that we had a window of approximately sixty seconds to punch in and out, which is really not enough time since we had to use an RSA token and PIN to sign into their VPN (a little device that gives you a code to sign into their network), then had to remotely connect to our desktops, then finally login into a time-keeping site and hit the 'punch clock' button. After that, you had 4 minutes left to sign into four different communication platforms (email, group chat, instant message, and their knowledge bank.

I can only imagine how many of the other trainees had similar experiences or worse... A shame since I was a huge fan of Amazon before I went through all this.

Be more transparent about what criteria your employees are being judged on-- every other company I've worked with has been clear: "Do this. Don't do this." This is really important if you want your employees to succeed. Really doesn't make sense to me since Jeff Bezos is so data-driven and objective in judgment (it seems like to me, anyway).

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com