Geeks vs. non-Geeks / Technical vs. non-technical people

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a force for Human Progress.

Cons

Everyone knows that Amazon sells at a deep, deep discount, to gain loyalty and market share. Amazon is a big bully.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com

1. decent workload, convenient location

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

well-organized big company, unified software system

Cons

on-call, spending too much time on dealing with tickets

Truly a regrettable decision

Former Employee - Area Manager in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Allentown, PA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people that are smart and are capable of doing the position. Generous with relocation benefits. Very nice stock offerings. The first week of training you meet ~50 new managers and make some really good friends. Then 3 months later you attend "Planet of the Ops" and get to spend another fun week with the friends you made the first week.

Cons

Overall it was a regrettable experience and only served to make me regret leaving my previous job and appreciate what I had before. From the beginning I was lied to about what to expect and told things that enticed me to join them. I had hoped working there was a great as being a customer. After you get through their intensive interview process, you will feel like it is a great place to be and that it is everything that you wanted in a job. After they moved me and started at my sight, I realized I had made a mistake. That was only within the first 3 weeks of being there. Associates and mangers are treated as numbers. Your input is not regarded in any decisions and you must accept whatever senior management wants. If you are a leader that cares about the people that work for you, this is not the place to be. Everyone is treated as if they are disposable. During my time there, I saw approximately 30 managers leave from various levels. That equated to an almost 30-40% loss in management. With the losses, no one was replaced and the work volume was dumped on those that remained. When new managers are brought on they send them to a one week training at another facility with 50 other managers to prepare for your new job. The week there is great, but it truly does not prepare you for the madness that is to come. Every week they have 50 new managers in that training. What does that tell you that they can hire 50 new managers every week and continue to always have open positions? They will say it is all the opening of new FC's and constant promotion to higher levels, but the reality is attrition. I asked specifically during my interview and that is the response I got. So if you have read all of this, be careful what you wish for, being employed there is not as great as being a customer.

Advice to Management

We are not all just numbers and rates to you. I get efficiency and keeping the best, but you hire the best and then break them.