Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Fire hose, lots of talent, constant change, high bar, rewarding.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm with the AWS side of the company and I've been impressed with how much talent you are surrounded by. Things are very dynamic with often interesting problems to solve and great community feeling of knowledge sharing. Also fun with frequent parties and beer bash type social events.

Cons

My view is that of an SE which is a smaller subset of the people at Amazon. The skills you need to get in here aren't going to be used (generally speaking) once you get here. Lots of things are done in very Amazon specific ways (for scale) that may not translate to smaller companies. This isn't a 'con' so much as a word of caution depending on your career goals and position.

Sometimes there's too much overhead. Dealing with external vendors for example which is a requirement in some cases.. is very painful and protracted. Another example is the work built around forecasting... For a company that changes direction with major projects so frequently is it really wise to spend so many cycles forecasting out more than 1 year at the team level?

3931 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Innovative company, difficult for upward movement

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Innovative
    Free reign
    Working for the winning team

Cons

Extremely frugal, lack of resources, extremely lean
    Impossible to get promoted

Some leaders are very poor choices. Do not have backbone.

HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

NIce buildings and good cafeteria food which you will need because if you are not a software engineer you will NEVER leave the building.

Cons

Everything. I do no have one positive thing to say. My first week of work I was scolded because I did not take my cell phone to the ladies room with me. REALLY. If you want to work 15 hour days in an incredibly stressful environment for slightly over the market rate for support positions this is the place for you. Executive Assistants - ask yourself if money is worth more than your life. Stay away - this company does not value people. It values Jeff B.'s bank account. Do not fool yourself into thinking anything else. Pay attention to how many people only stay here for three years and then leave - you have to stay three years to cash in on your first stock award. Some people get hooked into the cycle and stay longer, but many choose to leave the insanity at the three year mark. Everyone I have talked to who left the company is THRILLED to not work there anymore. Amazon churns through people and simply does not care - hopefully Karma will catch up with them at some point. This is the only company I have ever resigned from and that was the best decision of my life.

Learn to be human. Recognize that the only reason you exist is to pad Jeff B.'s bank account. Enjoy your Tesla before you have a heart attack.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com