It's a job.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Chester, VA
Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Chester, VA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Above average pay.

Cons

Poor communication between departments. One-on-one training is poor. Humanity is lost due to walk-out process.

Advice to Management

Each department manager should own their own department in human relations.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Fired while still in training for asking for an hour of personal time

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was great to be able to work from home They take good care of their customers Will be in business for a long time

Cons

(Sorry this is so long-- I left my job of five years to work at home for Amazon and was fired while still in training. I want to let prospective employees know how very little it takes to get fired though, and how you may not even know it's coming. --During interview and recruitment, I was told I would be on a 'chat' team to assist customers with technical issues via instant message. This was not true and I was assigned to a frontline phone support team-- a horrible assignment and definitely not one I would have left my former job for. I really doubt it was intentional but it certainly something they should have told me. --They called me back a few days after the interview and asked if I could start two days later (!). I could not since I had been with my employer for about five years and wanted to give them two weeks of notice that I was leaving-- only fair since we had a great working relationship and they depended on me for many things. We're still friends outside of work. The recruiter agreed (or said they did, anyway) and rescheduled me for training so that I could give notice and I thought everything was looking good, until training started. --A little over a week into training, a situation with family came up and I needed an hour of personal time-- I asked for the time and was told how to handle these requests. A couple of days later, I was contacted by my manager (which is pretty funny because didn't know I had one until then) and they wanted to talk about my attendance issues-- surprising since I didn't know I had done something wrong (I didn't say this, of course). About 10 minutes into this call, my manager brought in someone from HR as well. It was immediately clear to me that this was a well-versed routine and that they were trying to pressure me into quitting (which I wouldn't). With the HR person on the call, my manager went on the offensive and immediately asked me why I punched in precisely 20 minutes early every single day--- a really strange accusation since it's completely untrue-- I signed in and out exactly when I was supposed to and I still wonder where this question came from. Did my manager have the wrong person, or was it just an attempt to throw me off or provoke me? I'll probably never find out. We were told in the training that we had a window of approximately sixty seconds to punch in and out, which is really not enough time since we had to use an RSA token and PIN to sign into their VPN (a little device that gives you a code to sign into their network), then had to remotely connect to our desktops, then finally login into a time-keeping site and hit the 'punch clock' button. After that, you had 4 minutes left to sign into four different communication platforms (email, group chat, instant message, and their knowledge bank. I can only imagine how many of the other trainees had similar experiences or worse... A shame since I was a huge fan of Amazon before I went through all this.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about what criteria your employees are being judged on-- every other company I've worked with has been clear: "Do this. Don't do this." This is really important if you want your employees to succeed. Really doesn't make sense to me since Jeff Bezos is so data-driven and objective in judgment (it seems like to me, anyway).

2. Warehouse associate

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

There a lot if benefits with amazon. Working conditions are a lot better than other warehouse jobs. Reasonable on time off, benefits, stock in company, and easy to learn tasks.

Cons

Work schedules can be unreasonable especially during high merchandise seasons such as Christmas.

Advice to Management

Put people with the right skill set, degrees, certification in the right areas.