Amazon.com
3.4 of 5 2,795 reviews
www.amazon.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

One of the best places to work for as a Software Engineer

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee)
Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazon has a great international presence and as such employs a vast variety of people. As a result, one meets and interacts with people from myriad backgrounds and nationalities, one gets to travel and experience this multi-national flavour.

The company has a very rigorous attitude towards software development. There is a well-established discipline of testing and deployment. Amazonians are very particular about how every feature/upgrade effects the customer, whether internal or external.

As a hard core technology company, it uses state-of-the-art technologies and provides various opportunities in various aspects of software engineering. The company also provides internal training if one wishes to learn some new technology.

ConsMany teams are split into multiple sub-teams based at different geographical locations, in fact in different countries. The difference in time-zone and the inability to conveniently meet face-to-face introduces delays and sometimes, miscommunication.

Since every team is mandated to support their software and almost all software is in the form of internal services, every team member has to perform on-call duties for addressing emergency bugs. This can be stressful as an emergency bug report can come in any time during the day or night. Also since most teams are small, the on-call rotation is quite frequent.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery team or a group of teams should have a program/project manager who communicates within the group and with other teams. Engineers are often too candid or too technical and aren't always ready to give up responsibility. A shared-PM would be able to iron out these difficulties in addition to co-ordinating discussions and interactions between teams in different time-zones.

Amazon CS-HYD: Amazing place now turned into a high pressure environment

CSA (Former Employee)
Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: friendly people, fun place to work. Cons: Has been invaded by Indian Institute of Management (mafias, lol ) and now everyone is forced to work on projects or initiatives to even survive. … Advice to Senior Management: Please stop hiring from the IIMs and major B-schools. They will do nothing good! Focus on employee satisfaction, fair treatment and equality. Focus on making your… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Hectic and Painful

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good Salary, Good exposure to various technologies Cons: Work/life balance. Constantly under pressure, panic and chaos. Most projects reach fire-fighting mode. Managers dont respect employees personal time and expect them to work… Advice to Senior Management: Be transparent and be better managers. Respect your employees and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.