Amazon.com
3.4 of 5 2,817 reviews
www.amazon.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

Some great teams, and a lot of terrible teams

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat tools for programmers. A lot of them are very proprietary, but the concepts are there, and the whole software ecosystem meshes together well.

Some really smart people scattered throughout the company. I've learned a ton being here.

If you find the right team, you can build products that customers love and have some say in how they're built. If you find a small team that's missing say a project manager, you get the chance to take on different roles.

The "leadership principles" - while receiving a lot of scorn from some employees - are awesome guiding principles for how to act. They're burned into my brain for the rest of my life.

ConsLots of crappy programmers. Blind leading the blind means many college hires get indoctrinated with bad practices

Here's your choice of teams:
  - Small agile teams that are building cool products quickly
  - Massive orgs that have built themselves into corners and make every simple task take days to get right
  - Teams owning some of the oldest software in the company with crazy high attrition rates (think avg 6-8 months)
  - Teams that grew too fast and have 10 awful hacks for every good programmer, causing nightmares for whoever's on call

If you're looking to work at Amazon, you NEED to talk to the manager/coworkers on the team you're being hired for. If they look defeated and sad, look elsewhere!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best teams are small and agile. Building a huge organization and trying to coordinate across it just gets you in the area of diminishing returns. Asking people to move quickly and hamstringing them by forcing them to use crappy tools is pretty Orwellian.

Great people, Okay Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: You have a sense of personal accomplishment, the job is not difficult, there… Cons: Monotonous work with customers who are often ignorant, irate, or both can leave you drained; you begin to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Growing so fast that middle management is poor

Technical Program Manager (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Startup feeling in a company with tens of thousands of employees A great community especially in Seattle, outside of Seattle in other… Cons: The company likes to promote within for middle management but does not commit to training these managers to be good managers. Managers rarely can… Advice to Senior Management: Take a strong look at the course of the company and remind middle management… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.