There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Pays well, but works you hard

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of room for growth. Strong company.

Cons

Management likes the high amount of employee turnover. LONG hours.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Area Manager

Former Employee - Area Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, challenging role, metrics driven, straight forward communication, promotion potential, and good pay.

Cons

Mentally and physically exhausting, culture drives long hours with little to no downtime during your shift, very little reward/recognition for exceeding productivity metrics - especially if customer target ship date is missed (resulting in upgraded shipping = costs) during your shift, corporate culture is clearly customer focus but at the cost of employees.

Advice to Management

Buying into customer driven culture makes sense - but employees (at all levels) need to "feel" as if they are as important to YOU as the customer in order to sustain the energy needed to remain customer focused.

Internship Lesson: Lead your own internship, take initiative, don't be afraid to ask q's.

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazon is a true software company that will get you thinking about important scalability problems and other internet-scale issues. (however, I didn't do this a whole lot during my internship as my project was different)
    - My team always ate lunch together every day (this is pretty rare though at Amazon)
    - Manager had great 'emotional intelligence' and people skills. (although was very busy at the same time and only talked with him/her a couple times/week)
    - They try hard to make the interns feel valued and involved!

Cons

This was my first industry experience, so I'm not sure how it compares with other companies but here goes:
    - Pager duties for FTE's. (work-life balance is hard enough without the oncall responsibility!)
    - Can be hard to concentrate at desk (slightly crowded, distracted by misc. talk, nerf gun battles)
    - Ramp-up time for learning Amazon tools can be long.
    - Although I believe we can only become better developers by being pushed out of our comfort zone, I often went home (almost) every night feeling unsatisfied [didn't feel my work impacted the company]
    - Honestly, I feel like I learned more in 4 weeks' worth of college CS classes than I did in my entire internship (maybe 'cuz a lot had to be learned on my own and even then there are gaps in knowledge of proper way to do things)

Since my internship was for only 3 months, I feel like I would be telling a different story if the internship were 6 months or longer (I might be happier?). The learning curve at the beginning is painful and still goes on even at end of my internship (there's always something to learn about some team at Amazon).

Advice to Management

Encourage all employees under your management to be more 'professional' (some act a little like kids and/or are arrogant/disrespectful).

We're all in this together; we're all here to make Amazon a better company for our customers so why not be nice to each other? Constructive feedback and 'pushback' is important, but delivery of that feedback is also noteworthy.