Amazon.com

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Awesome!!!

Former Employee - Floor Supervosor in Coffeeville, AR
Former Employee - Floor Supervosor in Coffeeville, AR

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Structure, Safety and by the book management.

Cons

Breaks were hard. You had to walk to break room and go through security to start your fifteen minute break took you 6 minutes just to get there. If want to heat something up to eat...well forget it. For 750 employees there were only 6 microwaves.

That was my advise. As a floor supervisor myself, I was very successful at an encouraging approach with the production workers. Rather then a a brow beating approach which was the way I was treated when I started working for them 4 years ago.

3960 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Miserable

Former Employee - Stower in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Stower in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Though inflexible, management and HR were consistently friendly.

Cons

Inflexible management, respiratory irritants (heavy dust, chemical smells), rigid work schedule, short lunch break with no cafeteria options (with rigid sign in sign out requirements and a lot of walking involved - turning a 30 minute break into more like a 15 - 20 minute one), poor communication practices pre-hire (was not given HR contact info until a week before I started and 3 weeks after I've been hired - and then she never answered my emails), long wait after hire to start working (a month), insulting 1984 "ministry of truth" style propaganda at every turn ("Have Fun" is a motto posted on the walls of every room in the place and repeated daily after every team meeting - no one has fun being a machine for 10 hours without a real break to speak of), not given any say in work hours after starting (was not given option to switch to night shift)

A 30 minute lunch break in a 10 hour shift is sad and pathetic. Give employees the option to leave early for a longer lunch if they want. Get a cafeteria or at least offer more healthy vending machines options than the processed crap currently available, assign new hires an HR representative to get in touch with for any questions as soon as the initial interview is scheduled - and retain that person throughout the process. Do something about the dust or provide masks (a coworker I went through orientation only lasted 1 and a half weeks because of reactions to the heavy dust exposure, and I got sick myself). Stop with the propaganda. Give employees some options as far as their shift rather than simply assigning.

On a broader note, stop selling everything regardless of how ethically it was produced or what kinds of harmful chemicals it was made with. You started out selling books, a noble profession indeed - but apparently that wasn't enough and now you've got your hands in everything. I joined because I heard the warehouse I was working in was for small items like books and dvds. I was saddened to find that was only a small percentage of what trafficked through that warehouse and that I had to work with. Most of my day was spent amongst needless and environmentally harmful consumer crap. So on many levels I was disappointed and unhappy with my experience there.

Work hard, have fun, make history - in that order!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's a reason the "work hard" part of this company's tag line is first... You're going to work hard. But if you love what you do and have a passion for the innovative, always-pushing-forward culture, this could be a good fit.

Cons

Work life balance does not exist. At all.

Find a way to create, innovate and change the world without burning your best and brightest out!

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com