There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

I love the start-up atmosphere in this Fortune 500 company.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While the Amazon mentality is con for others, it's a huge pro for me. My job is loosely defined and I received no formal training upon arrival. I love that. I had to be self-directed, find my own resources and create a niche in my team. My job can be what I make of it. I define my goals, propose projects, suggest changes to existing projects and choose to meet or exceed expectations. Helicopter bosses are not encouraged but I, as an individual contributor, have to do my part to prove that I can work autonomously. On a daily basis I have to find the data to prove my points before blindly making assumptions, write narratives to support my projects and define (and redefine) my goals. Speaking up with constructive solutions is consistently encouraged. The famous "?" email from Bezos, while intimidating, reminds us that everything is open for questioning and smart inquisition is encouraged. Amazon is the only company I've worked for that loudly and proudly displays its leadership competencies. In fact, almost everything I do can roll up into a particular leadership competency. Usually our actions are justified and rewarded in accordance with these core values. Finally, I love that we're encouraged to change positions every 18-24 months (lateral move or otherwise) so no one gets stuck in a single-minded rut. I had the fortune of being asked to move to a better role after just 6 months (a rare exception).

Cons

Be prepared to work very hard. This isn't a con per se, but you should be mindful of that fact. I have worked 80 hours per week during heavy times and never less than 55 on any week. No one tells me to work this much; you have to figure out how much time it will take you to achieve your goals and do it. Also, don't expect "perks". Again, this isn't a huge con for me. I feel like people who go to work for "perks" aren't sincere. If you need rewards or praise for your work, you may not find it here. Finally, the autonomous mentality means that no one on your team is ever obligated to help you unless their manager tells them to. Help is hard to come by more than once so ask for favors wisely. Compensation is "meh" but opportunities are great. Also, if you stay long enough for all of your stocks to vest (like, minimum of five years), you'll have a nice little package of money eventually.

Advice to Management

I actually like our upper management. I sit a few feet from two VPs and they're very friendly to me. I wish that I knew more of their honest opinion about my work though. Their opinions tend to get filtered through my director, who dilutes the message. If there are concerns about my work, I always want it brought to my immediate attention but I don't always receive that because my director seems to be "protecting" me somehow.

reviews filtered by

A masochists dream culture...

Current Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a company very true to its Leadership Principles which makes it a fairly transparent culture in that way. The teams are passionate about what they are doing and able to continue creating excitement. You get to work with smart and creative people. Amazon had great brand recognition and has a mostly positive reputation with consumers. They aim to please and most of the time they're right on target.

Cons

There is no work/life balance whatsoever, expect to work a minimum of 50+ hours a week. You're nights and sometimes your weekends cease to belong to you.
    Don't expect any praise, ever. The reward for a job well done is the demand that you improve quickly with higher expectations.
    The culture tends to be very confrontational. Expect to be yelled at even for things which aren't your fault.
    You will wonder on at least a weekly basis if you're going to be fired.
    Politics are encouraged and you better come out being right.
    Strangely, for all of the talking, sometimes you get the sense that the management believes communication is for the birds. The management spends a lot of time in meetings but they don't seem to be talking to one and other.

Advice to Management

Skip level reviews should be performed regularly. Work-life balance is important and it can create even more passion in employees if offered.

2. Good for your career, less so if you're a mom

Former Employee - Editor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Editor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smartest people, best in process, excited about the work, definite growth in job skills and functions that make you very marketable elsewhere.

Cons

If you enjoy your job, tough -- you're expected to move up or over to another team/role after 2 years or you don't look "successful". At least until you move to a level 6, then there's more flexibility. Not a good place for working moms. Inflexible on work arrangements (telecommuting etc)

Advice to Management

Stop churning through talent like water through a sieve, show that you care about your employees so they will work harder for you and stay longer than 2 years.