Amazon.com
3.4 of 5 2,795 reviews
www.amazon.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

Ownership culture, interesting technology, and a bright future

Software Development Manager (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazon is an amazing company - I haven't seen anything like it. It's a place where you're encouraged to "Think Big" while still having to focus on the details and deliver results. There are truly incredible people working here, and it's easy to reach across the organization and benefit from their knowledge. This is a company where displays of true ownership are rewarded. If you see a problem or an opportunity, don't wait for someone else to give you permission to look at it - go and see! Sure, you shouldn't go off for two weeks working on something new without telling anyone, but management is open to hearing about ideas about what needs to be done.

The Vancouver office is a "remote" office in that it's a few hours away from the corporate HQ in Seattle, but the culture here is very much Amazonian. The leadership principles are consistent across the company (although occasionally open to interpretation), and as we continue to grow the office feels more and more like a "1st class" Amazon office every day.

Amazon has had a bad reputation about operational load, but I can only speak to my own experience - the load is minimal. It is very rare that someone on my team gets paged because of an issue, and almost always that takes place during business time. Having the team handle operations, instead of sourcing it out to a dedicated support team, instills a strong quality ethic in the team and as a result the software is of much higher quality.

ConsAmazon is great place, but it's also a huge and varied place. Your Amazon experience will depend largely on two things - how much of a self-started you are, and what team you're on.

There are a lot of opportunities, but you need to reach out and grab them. Very little will be spoon-fed to you unless you are at the lowest levels, and even then there is an expectation of motivation and initiative (or "bias for action"). Waiting for the action to come to you is not a successful strategy, be it interesting projects, new technologies, promotions, or anything else.

Amazon is relatively decentralized, meaning that it's up to each organization, division, and even manager to run their group the way they want. Sometimes things will be circumstantial - inheriting a legacy system, etc. - but often a manager's or organization's policies will greatly impact how much you like work here. Luckily, people are relatively free to move around within the company, so unhappy teams will bleed developers to teams with better reputations.

Advice to Senior ManagementHandling a company that's growing as rapidly as this one is difficult. I think you are doing a good job, but one way of improving would be to be more transparent as to how things in the employee survey are handled. Many of them ARE getting handled, but it's not always obvious how.

management only concerned about numbers, no work-life balance

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: fast paced env good collegues challenging problems Cons: management only concerned about numbers no work-life balance Advice to Senior Management: come up with employee - friendly policies No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Amazon would be a great company to work for without cheap politics at work

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: -Good pay -Smart people to work with Cons: -Bad management with too many politics -highly difficult to move up the ladder in India unless you are able to lick your bosses ass, -Hopeless HR.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.