Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Growing so fast that middle management is poor

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Startup feeling in a company with tens of thousands of employees
A great community especially in Seattle, outside of Seattle in other offices the feeling is a very stark difference to the Amazon culture (could be a con)
Lots of projects, sky is the limit!

Cons

The company likes to promote within for middle management but does not commit to training these managers to be good managers. Managers rarely can be an individual contributor and a manager effectively at the same time however there does not seem to be the same focus into bringing management on par with the ideals of Amazon. In the last couple months I've been told don't worry about the customers, be selfish, the team doesn't need to know why you are making these decisions, etc.

Take a strong look at the course of the company and remind middle management to stop changing the bar to suit their needs and twisting the leadership principles.

3961 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Meat Grinder - Bring'em in fresh, put'em through the grinder. NEXT!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com (more than an year)

Pros

Looks great on the resume, so I recommend if you have the chance to do a stint. But only if your a mid, to early in your career.

Cons

+ No culture of internal promotion. You come in at one level, and will stay there unless a act of God happens which will promote you. I was told by my manager that to get promoted he would need to write a 6 page report on me to present to the senior leadership.

+Its said before, but its a total glue factory mentality. At a certain point your usefulness/productivity declines, you get burnt out, so its encouraged by Amazon that you look for new opps in the company. This is to keep you fresh, but its really a bring'em in fresh, chem'em up and spit it out.

+ Data driven culture???. Everything is data driven except the yearly review process, which is a clear as mud. Its based on a curve, even though our team made our goal, I was given achieves rating, my team mate, received "exceeds". What did he do that I didn't?

+ Cheap. No team events, even though you spend 10 - 12 hours a day at this place. Would it hurt to through a few morale events?

None.

Great opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Human Resources in Plainfield, IN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Plainfield, IN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits program and maternity benefits. Pay is very competitive for all positions and the company is constantly making changes to improve.

Cons

With the increase in growth of the company, it has been hard to keep staff in some departments

Put yourself in the hourly associates shoes for a day to understand barriers.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com