Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Growing pains/Not for the faint of heart

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with some of the smartest people in the industry.
You can make a significant impact much like a startup.
Excellent benefits, parking reimbursement etc.

Cons

We seem to be doubling our workforce every year which means half the company is new to the company (no exaggeration). The culture of "bias for action" is lost in some groups. People are more worried about CYA than building the product right in a timely fashion.

No work/life balance, overload of new hires needing to be mentored at the same time as needing to meet aggressive deadlines is very stressful and is currently causing some churn in the workforce.

Don't lose your way. There seems to be some loss in corporate culture over the last few years. Don't let entropy creep in.

3866 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

I will just stick with ordering from them

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Amazon.com (less than an year)

Pros

Many of the people were cool to work with. The work was fairly easy and self explanatory. Probably would have been better if I was a permanent employee.

Cons

There could have been a better flow of communication and organization. Everybody wanted to be a boss, and the "leaders" were not competent in their jobs. Also, a little courtesy and respect can go a long way which some people here have not learned.

There's a reason why there is a high turnover. Figure it out and then maybe so much time and money won't be used to train new employees.

A behemoth with a decent soul. But still a behemoth.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazon is a top-notch place to work if one is looking for myriad skills and experiences working in the world of e-commerce, not only for personal development but also as a resume builder. Additionally, they do maintain, in my opinion, a very clear and positive focus on creating "the best possible customer experience". That's a philosophy I could easily get behind. Also, Amazon encourages employees to move around a lot laterally, which means that if you don't like your role, it's always possible to find something else internally. Also, given the intensity of the work environment, people leave on a regular basis, creating openings for you ladder climbers out there.

Cons

This depends largely on one's department, team, and job function, just as at any big company. But as far as I could tell, most employees are overworked, scrambling to keep their heads above water while maintaining high quality (a must to succeed at Amazon). Amazon is proud to be a "lean" organization, which means teams have little or no backup should key people go on vacation, become ill, or take some other form of leave. And it also means that everyone has, pretty much at all times, a mountain of work to climb. If you're looking for a job environment with an ebb and flow, Amazon isn't for you.

Splurge a bit on team size to allow employees room to breathe and maintain their focus on quality output--I've seen people sleep in the office during key launches over the course of several weeks. This is never an acceptable environment. And employees should feel comfortable taking their vacations. Instead, I saw lots of anxiety about the work that would not get down because there's insufficient staffing to pick up any of the slack when people are out of office. Re-think the hiring process where "bar raisers" from other teams are given the power to veto candidates who may otherwise have been given unanimous support by the team actually trying to do the hiring. This leads to trouble filling crucial roles, at times.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com