There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Copywriter

Former Employee - Copywriter in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Copywriter in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary was satisfactory, but not worth the headache.

Cons

After returning from maternity leave, I was laid off. This company functions without a heart and treats employees like factory workers.

It functions with childlike management that don't appear to understand process. This company needs to get a few adults in the mix.

3658 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Despicable treatment of contract employees

Former Employee - Operations in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Operations in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I can't imagine anyone who would want to work here by choice.

Cons

lower level management: completely incompetent, threatening, drill sergeant managerial style. coworkers overworked to the point of hospitalization, and contract workers treated as second class citizens. Everything I read and feared about this company's sweatshop practices unfolded before my very eyes and things just went from bad to worse at times even with disregard to federal and state labor guidelines.

Your employees, be it subcontractors or salary payroll, are human begins. I don't even where to begin in a company seemingly devoid of ethical business practices.

Great company to start your career!

Current Employee - Associate Site Merchandiser in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Site Merchandiser in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Lots of responsibility at a very early stage. Within months, straight out of college, I was managing merchandising for vendors who make millions in revenues with Amazon and doing onsite and e-mail promotions seen by thousands, all with minimal supervision.
    - Good structure if you're in the leadership programs (MBA, undergrad, etc.) in terms of trainings, social events, and assigned mentors and buddies. I've heard non-program employees get much less structured onboardings, however.
    - Exposure to an amazing company philosophy and business strategy. Amazon isn't paying lip service when it says it focuses on customers; every business decision is made with them in mind and in center. Managers know what they're doing, which helps eliminate confusion on your end.
    - Coworkers have been extremely friendly and helpful. I almost feel embarrassed asking so many questions, yet they have been patient and thorough in answering all of them.
    - Pay is good, although much of it is in stock and bonuses.

Cons

- Being 100% customer-focused means that the company doesn't have much attention left for employees. There's very few perks (no free lunches or frequent giveaways, for example) typical of tech companies, and chronic understaffing means employees often are forced to work long hours.
    - Internal employee tech support and troubleshooting is inconsistent at best, with quality of response and wait times varying wildly.
    - No one has the time or energy to hold your hand- although help is available, you have to be proactive in asking for it and knowing how to get the information you require for your job. You also have to be in charge of your own career development and networking- there are very few defined career paths and, again, no one is going to hold your hand.
    - I've heard promotions and raises are relatively rare compared to other companies, with much managerial hiring done externally. Turnover is high, due to both the pace of expansion and new hires and burnout of existing employees

Raise perks to industry-standard level to keep employees, and do a better job at implementing career development programs and communicating clear promotion guidelines.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com