There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

A nonstop learning party!

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people are bright but rarely arrogant. -Decisions are made based on the merit of ideas (and supporting data), not who makes them. -The work has substance and I can see the impact of what I do. -The day goes by quickly; I am never counting hours. -Though they can be a bit secretive, upper management has a vision and seem to know what they are doing. They do their best to share what employees need to know. -Leadership principles are valuable and have a guiding presence day-to-day. -Management has genuine interest in their employees' career development. There are a lot of great resources to help you develop and advance. -I learn a new skill or gain new insight every day. Amazonians ride a river of information! -Criticism is welcomed, and heated debates fuel good relationships. -Stock options and benefits are excellent. -The Amazon name is respected -- it definitely opens doors. -People bring their dogs to work. -Amazon brings artists and authors to give performances and talks during lunch breaks. -Seattle is great! Who can't get enough rain, coffee, hiking, grunge, and breweries?

Cons

-Most everyone I've met here is good-natured, but not always outgoing in the workplace. It can take some initiative to meet others and expand your network. -Each team is highly autonomous, which is good overall, but has its drawbacks. Experiences vary a lot at Amazon, so what I describe could be different from what you come to find. The good news is that everyone has the option to move around the company. -As mentioned above, upper management can be mysterious at times. I appreciate that they acknowledge the opacity of some topics, but it could be an issue if you need total transparency. -Amazon can be very demanding. This, of course, comes with the territory of interesting work and continuous learning. As they say, "no pain, no gain." If you are not willing or able to invest more than the 40 hour week, this might not be the place for you. That being said, I have never felt burnt out, just properly challenged. -Although it seems to do good for my waistline, there aren't as many gimmes (free food, swag, etc.) as you would get at other big tech companies. This is in line with the leadership principle of frugality. The workplace is comfortable enough, so I'm not complaining. -Free daycare is not provided. If you have kids, this is a more legitimate con than missing out on free candy bars or Amazon-branded chapstick. -Amazon is a mammoth of a company in size. I don't find the work menial as a result, but as you might imagine, it's not as personal as a smaller company would be.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It is fast pacing and dynamic

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intense work life, definitely learnt a lot of stuff. Great location, great people around. Very easy to talk to senior engineer

Cons

bad work life balance. Some teams has very bad on call policy, might need to go to office at 3:00 am.

Contractor SDET

Former Contractor - Software Development Engineer In Test in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Software Development Engineer In Test in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You work with some really smart talented people. Everyone is very friendly and generally very hardworking. Really fast paced environment, working with current technologies and people are working on some phenomenal and exciting stuff there

Cons

Contractors are really treated as temporary employees , given worst kind of work that no one wants to do. Even my role had promised conversion potential, it didn't seem as if it would ever be and the kind of work that was given to me was not making my career grow. Work life balance is messed up to, expect to put in long hours. East side people beware, daily commute can be a pain. Donot join unless prepared / enjoy long commute. I was spending about 2 hours daily commuting which wasn't fun.

Advice to Management

Management is generally friendly. Some work on employee satisfaction is needed Witt making sure their careers are growing. Some appreciation once in while would be good too