Amazon.com

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Innovative company

Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, People are hungry for innovation and solid opportunities for growth

Cons

I actually do not see any cons.

4181 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Great leaders and honest culture

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The core values of Ownership, Integrity, Bias for Action, Frugality etc., are all things that I personally approve of and have known to work best for me. The culture of the company fits me very well.
    In my 7 years, I have not worked on anything that was not of any use to anyone. Essentially, no work/time of mine was spent for nothing.
    Managers and senior managers are invariably always demanding, challenging and make you do more than what you would have done if left alone. To slightly lazy people like me, that is really helpful.
    People above my level are invariably role-models. They have amazing process, excellent communication and influencing skills. Very structured thought-process and always focused on the customers.

Cons

For the work one does here, the money one gets is very low.

It's Better as a Customer Than as an Employee

Former Employee - Senior Business Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are endless in this rapid growth stage; it's a culture that supports rotating through different groups means that one will never be bored.

Leadership principles are clearly understood. This means that despite the large size of the company, it's easy to transfer from one group to the other and understand what it means to be an effective Amazonian.

Cons

Decisions (both hiring and day-to-day business) feel robotic. As a result, the overall "emotional intelligence" needed to thrive in this place is low, and if you are an emotional person (or someone who thrives on positive feedback), this is not be the place for you.

Because everyone is rated on a curve, there is little to no incentive (beyond a feeling of general satisfaction) to help your peers. As a result, it really is sink or swim. Those who do not display natural strength early on, are written off as not being smart enough of, or right for the company.

There are a lot of wonderful, hardworking, loyal, and smart individuals who have been weeded out, and in their place are former military, former consultants, MBAs (I'm one of these, so this is simply an objective statement, not a judgment). It's the purely analytical type and those who are willing-to-accept-orders-under-any-circumstance type who will thrive here.

One key leadership principle is missing: "help each other out"

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com