Perfect for an internship

Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Seattle, WA
Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, smart and friendly coworkers, young and startup feel, great campus

Cons

Not enough interesting work for the amount of talent in the office, full time employees must go on call

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Very physically demanding.

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Good pay, consistent schedule, plenty of opportunity for overtime.

Cons

Lot of favoritism, hard to advance.

Advice to Management

Listen to associates more.

A nonstop learning party!

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people are bright but rarely arrogant. -Decisions are made based on the merit of ideas (and supporting data), not who makes them. -The work has substance and I can see the impact of what I do. -The day goes by quickly; I am never counting hours. -Though they can be a bit secretive, upper management has a vision and seem to know what they are doing. They do their best to share what employees need to know. -Leadership principles are valuable and have a guiding presence day-to-day. -Management has genuine interest in their employees' career development. There are a lot of great resources to help you develop and advance. -I learn a new skill or gain new insight every day. Amazonians ride a river of information! -Criticism is welcomed, and heated debates fuel good relationships. -Stock options and benefits are excellent. -The Amazon name is respected -- it definitely opens doors. -People bring their dogs to work. -Amazon brings artists and authors to give performances and talks during lunch breaks. -Seattle is great! Who can't get enough rain, coffee, hiking, grunge, and breweries?

Cons

-Most everyone I've met here is good-natured, but not always outgoing in the workplace. It can take some initiative to meet others and expand your network. -Each team is highly autonomous, which is good overall, but has its drawbacks. Experiences vary a lot at Amazon, so what I describe could be different from what you come to find. The good news is that everyone has the option to move around the company. -As mentioned above, upper management can be mysterious at times. I appreciate that they acknowledge the opacity of some topics, but it could be an issue if you need total transparency. -Amazon can be very demanding. This, of course, comes with the territory of interesting work and continuous learning. As they say, "no pain, no gain." If you are not willing or able to invest more than the 40 hour week, this might not be the place for you. That being said, I have never felt burnt out, just properly challenged. -Although it seems to do good for my waistline, there aren't as many gimmes (free food, swag, etc.) as you would get at other big tech companies. This is in line with the leadership principle of frugality. The workplace is comfortable enough, so I'm not complaining. -Free daycare is not provided. If you have kids, this is a more legitimate con than missing out on free candy bars or Amazon-branded chapstick. -Amazon is a mammoth of a company in size. I don't find the work menial as a result, but as you might imagine, it's not as personal as a smaller company would be.