Fast, Smart, Data-Driven. Awesome environment for hard drivers

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People - all smart, focused and data driven.
Mission - shared vision, play for the long term, make big bets, make choices, own them
Values - Creates incredible workforce with broad reaching influence

In general, this is one of the few companies with the will and footprint capable of disrupting most industries it chooses. The ruthless focus on the end consumer allows for clear thinking and brutal feature cuts.

Cons

Expect to be on your email from 9-Midnight - while not a 'requirement', the turn around time on expected questions from mgmt is consistent with all-the-time access.

Willing to burn bridges with nearly any industry or partner in the name of better customer. This may not be a 'con' per se, but if you're in the partnership side of the business, know your personal brand may be affected.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. I'm still a shareholder and will continue to be one.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Amazon knows their process very well

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Breadth of experience at an entry level. Opportunities to be cross trained in different departments. The lexington returns FC is a very unique place with lots of opportunities to experience various departments and get to know their process. I was impressed how often Amazon looks to improve its process and find ways to get money back to their customers as quickly as they can.

Cons

Not many opportunities to move up the ladder from the warehouse associate level. Even though I was able to be cross trained in 4 different departments my attempts to apply for different positions never reached fruition. I was also surprise how many warehouse associates had advanced degrees, me included. You could imagine as an employer you would want to put those skills to use in your business, but in my experience that was not the case. The better route to get into a management position would have been to leave and apply for those positions from outside of the company.

Advice to Management

Look for opportunities to find future leaders within the talent pool at the bottom level. Also give more opportunities for advancement

A nonstop learning party!

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people are bright but rarely arrogant.
    -Decisions are made based on the merit of ideas (and supporting data), not who makes them.
    -The work has substance and I can see the impact of what I do.
    -The day goes by quickly; I am never counting hours.
    -Though they can be a bit secretive, upper management has a vision and seem to know what they are doing. They do their best to share what employees need to know.
    -Leadership principles are valuable and have a guiding presence day-to-day.
    -Management has genuine interest in their employees' career development. There are a lot of great resources to help you develop and advance.
    -I learn a new skill or gain new insight every day. Amazonians ride a river of information!
    -Criticism is welcomed, and heated debates fuel good relationships.
    -Stock options and benefits are excellent.
    -The Amazon name is respected -- it definitely opens doors.
    -People bring their dogs to work.
    -Amazon brings artists and authors to give performances and talks during lunch breaks.
    -Seattle is great! Who can't get enough rain, coffee, hiking, grunge, and breweries?

Cons

-Most everyone I've met here is good-natured, but not always outgoing in the workplace. It can take some initiative to meet others and expand your network.
    -Each team is highly autonomous, which is good overall, but has its drawbacks. Experiences vary a lot at Amazon, so what I describe could be different from what you come to find. The good news is that everyone has the option to move around the company.
    -As mentioned above, upper management can be mysterious at times. I appreciate that they acknowledge the opacity of some topics, but it could be an issue if you need total transparency.
    -Amazon can be very demanding. This, of course, comes with the territory of interesting work and continuous learning. As they say, "no pain, no gain." If you are not willing or able to invest more than the 40 hour week, this might not be the place for you. That being said, I have never felt burnt out, just properly challenged.
    -Although it seems to do good for my waistline, there aren't as many gimmes (free food, swag, etc.) as you would get at other big tech companies. This is in line with the leadership principle of frugality. The workplace is comfortable enough, so I'm not complaining.
    -Free daycare is not provided. If you have kids, this is a more legitimate con than missing out on free candy bars or Amazon-branded chapstick.
    -Amazon is a mammoth of a company in size. I don't find the work menial as a result, but as you might imagine, it's not as personal as a smaller company would be.