There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Work hard. Make history. Still waiting for the fun...

Current Employee - Amazon Area Manager
Current Employee - Amazon Area Manager

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Intelligent counterparts and colleagues. -Great stock and investment opportunities. -Internal and lateral transfers galore!

Cons

-Complete lack of anything resembling mentorship. -Leadership only embraces company philosophies when its convenient to the point of hypocrisy. -It's a complete grind every day to perform better than the last.

Advice to Management

Invest time and development into your employees!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. For people who enjoy working hard and seeing results

Former Intern - Pathways Operations
    Former Intern - Pathways Operations

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience as an MBA intern in one of their FCs. I was given ownership, autonomy, encouraged to challenge things, and make changes. I was also provided encouragement and validation when my work was successful.I saw Sr. Leadership value the associates and encourage me to listen to them and help make their jobs easier. Amazon is a very successful company and pays well (including stock). I would encourage people to read the core leadership principles and if they align, it's a career worth pursuing. People that are strong leaders, direct, results driven and enjoy the thrill of challenges every day will thrive here. All the managers I came into contact with were down to earth and cool to be around. If you perform, you will move up. There is no limit to the possibilities. If you want to go to Seattle, there will be chances to do so. The MBA hires can become General Managers in as little as 5 years. No other company gives you as much growth, leadership and stock compensation as Amazon.

Cons

It's physically demanding, as you are on your feet most of the day. The FCs run 7 days a week, so it's likely you will work either Saturday or Sunday.

Know your leadership principles and manage your boundaries well.

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brilliant people. Exciting and challenging things to work on. Many small, iterative, collaborative, and innovative teams with the ownership to deliver results. Look for teams with brilliant business people at the helm that embody all of Amazon's Leadership Principles.

Cons

It is way too easy to commit too much time, energy, and your very essence to this place of many wonders. Once you start working 50, 60, 70+ hours a week it becomes nigh impossible to dial it back. There are few paths to leadership for UX professionals. Just as there are many small teams of brilliance and success, there are many other teams full of chaos and dysfunction.

Advice to Management

Find better ways to shepherd a new era of brilliant minds in to leadership.