There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

I can't believe I get paid to do what I love!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Amazon.com has endless opportunities, not only for career advancement but for breadth of opportunities. In fact, they have a new shoe and handbag store called endless.com, check it out. Not to mention, amazonfresh.com (grocery delivery), smallparts.com (hardware store for R&D), web services for enterprise clients (target.com, sears.ca, etc.) and just about everything else on amazon.com.

Cons

It's tough to stay focused on one career path with so many different competing opportunities.

Senior Management needs to get in the trenches every once in a while to truly understand the challenges we face with the customer. The manager that do this always seem to have the best perspective of what we are dealing with everyday.

3654 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Welcome to the Matrix

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

In the old days (1995-2002), the people who worked here were incredibly smart, talented, interesting, versatile. I have never worked with a smarter group. Ever. It was like being in an elite college--that level of intelligence, but in a work environment. Very fun and stimulating.

Cons

Treat employees like disposable batteries. They will use you up and find fresh batteries to replace you.

At some point, you may run out of eager young ambitious candidates from all over the world who want Amazon on their resumes. We'll see if you care about rentention then. Or just give it lip service, the way you do now.

Rating for the Employee Experience: Improvement Needed

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

The name: working for Amazon is instantly recognizable. Amazon does amazing things for it's customers. You will definately get challenged.

Cons

There is no employee support. Areas of the business are segregated and managed according to the personalities of the leaders for that area. Compensation is targeted differently for different groups and employees are expendable. Employee investment is minimal. Benefits suck for the price. Pay mix is so stock heavy that, even at entry individual contributor levels, you are constantly watching a stock price you cannot affect in a meaningful way, waiting for your vest dates to make major purchases and pay property taxes. It does not contribute to a feeling of ownership, it must be what prison is like, marking the days.

Realize that you must invest in tools and resources for your employees. That they deserve as much respect as the customer. That employees making below 100k should not have to bear an 80/20 pay mix. That you should make an investment in developing talent by providing tuition reimbursement. That you should champion a realistic workweek, and push communication ALL THE WAY down the chain.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com