There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

I can't believe I get paid to do what I love!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Amazon.com has endless opportunities, not only for career advancement but for breadth of opportunities. In fact, they have a new shoe and handbag store called endless.com, check it out. Not to mention, amazonfresh.com (grocery delivery), smallparts.com (hardware store for R&D), web services for enterprise clients (target.com, sears.ca, etc.) and just about everything else on amazon.com.

Cons

It's tough to stay focused on one career path with so many different competing opportunities.

Advice to Management

Senior Management needs to get in the trenches every once in a while to truly understand the challenges we face with the customer. The manager that do this always seem to have the best perspective of what we are dealing with everyday.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com

About what you'd expect when you sell your soul. You get a good price for it though.

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Money, Money, Money, Money, Money

Cons

Working conditions (small cubes), tools available (one-size-fits-all computers don't really fit all sizes), competence of project managers (disorganized, no formal requirements setting), the need to maintain your own systems (nighttime and weekend calls/pages), lack of testers, lack of support staff. Basically, engineers are highly skilled web developers and system administrators. The compensation scheme also doesn't put much emphasis on performance, so the compensation is pretty similar if you did a good job or a bad. And people who are jerks, who don't get along with anyone and disrupt teams, aren't handled. They stick around forever.

Advice to Management

Faster turnaround on evaluations, and put more emphasis on performance when determining compensation -- maybe move to larger bonuses (immediate bonuses -- 2-year-away stock doesn't count). Realize that a significant percentage of the best developers in the industry change jobs every 2-3 years. Make Amazon a place they want to stop in. Give developers more freedom to get more tools. You spend over 150K/year on them, but won't give them another gig of RAM? or a third monitor? Invest in TPMs. They need to be technical and understand requirements. Make it easier to get rid of people. Why can't we have more webdev's to do html? Why do most of us have pagers and not support staff who aren't developers? Why don't we have more testers?

A fair website, but sucks as a place to work

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Seattle, WA

Pros

You own your own work

Cons

Highly politicized. People are literally not important. Career development is a joke. There is only one upgrade path. Failure in anything means a halt to upward movement. (I've seen great people stopped because of a relatively trivial error.) Compensation is truly horrendous, and benefits are Scrooge-like. Developers are a commodity, and work 80h weeks with oncall duty performing system maintenance. This is the most seat-of-the-pants and blame-the-victim company I've ever worked for. Hard work is not rewarded, because it's usually throwaway work. Long-term planning is a joke.

Advice to Management

What do you want to be as a company? How are the actions you take today related in any way to your future? Why do you discard great employees so easily? Why do you hire extremely talented people & then give them gruntwork to do?