There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

If you are not interested in being a drone, don't become a programmer at Amazon

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salaries, stock, and signing bonuses are pretty good. They do wave a lot of stock in front of you in the form of RSUs which vest in like 4 or 5 years. What they don't tell you is that hardly anyone lasts that long.

Cons

First of all Amazon is like many different companies rolled into one. What your work life is like depends entirely and absolutely on specifically which group and project you get hired into. You can be in a hell-on-earth type engineering position and be one office away from somebody working their dream job depending on the project you are working on. So take positive as well as negative reviews here of the place with a grain of salt.

That said, this is a negative review.

Generally Amazon is incredibly political with layers of management and various warring factions within the layers. You can easily end up in some project that exists in contested ground leading to a situation in which your contribution will come under undue scrutiny from various actors. The management of the place seems to revel in this kind of culture; they seem to want it to be this way. If you are the typical introverted programmer type who is bad at the social aspect of life, prepare to be somebody's pawn or to be stabbed in the back. You can just ignore the politics but the politics will not ignore you. There are reorgs constantly; one never knows where one stands. One's boss changes frequently. On-call a week out of a month is the norm, sometimes it is the more. You will be expected to work long hours pretty much always.

When I was hired I was told our group would never be put on-call we were after a month. My boss changed after a month to my boss's boss who was literally a sociopath. After a while another programmer in my group managed to engineer basically a coup and got sociopath guy fired but by that time it was too late for me. I was burnt out.

the whole dynamic of software development there is about hiring young people who haven't had a lot of prior job experience and burning them out. I was not young,I had been around the block software job-wise and I thought I could just stick it out for the carrot on the stick but, basically, I couldn't do it. At a certain point I just wanted my life back.

I don't have any ... They know what they are doing, and they run the company well in terms of profits.

3697 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Amazon is a great company with a unique culture that I'm glad I have been able to experience.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in New Castle, DE
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in New Castle, DE

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay & Good benefits
    Respectful treatment and appreciation of employees that is unique compared to other companies in their industry (and really other companies in general)

Cons

At Fulfillment Centers the warehouse work is very physically difficult
    Amazon has high standards for work (rate) that not everyone can meet, even when they are trying

Overall I am very satisfied with the Amazon management, I would suggest that they continue to show lots of appreciation for their employees and continue asking how they can do better.

I worked as a category manager in Softlines

Former Employee - Merchant Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Merchant Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many internal resources to help accomplish goals & drive business.

Cons

Saw a lot of people thrown under the bus in meetings with upper management.

The promotion process is archaic and should be more merit based.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com