Amazon.com

Great place to work

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

I am very proud to have been a part of Amazon. It could be a frustrating place to work, but it was never boring. I have never felt so mentally stimulated.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard. Jeff Bezos is amazing but he has no concerns for you individually. That didn't bother me at all, but you have to know that going in.

When I worked there many frustrated me, and I would have passed them on to senior management. Now, however, looking back on what they have achieved, I wouldn't suggest they change anything.

3945 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

good luck - you'll need it!

Former Employee - Associate Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Associate Buyer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

can be exciting with authors and bands stopping by
    lots of room for lateral movement within company
    10% employee discount

Cons

very high turnover
    ZERO work/life balance
    24/7 blackberry attachment
    extremely poor managers (very ignorant of basic management skills)
    you are a number, which can be easily replaced (and are made aware of that)

get a grip on the extreme turnover! A company your size should not have a 30% YOY turnover rate! Train your middle management better - All they are concerned about is getting Jeff Bezos's attention for promotion purposes.

Not so great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

I have hope that my experience isn't the norm as I've been with the company for about a year (but these reviews imply it is) - but this company is not great. However, it is a good name to have on your resume - so probably a good place for people without a lot of experience or are looking to only stay somewhere for a few year.

Cons

As a rule, people are terrified of management, so they will avoid being held responsible for any decisions made and will look for a scapegoat when possible. Communication is terrible - teams don't share information and then find someone else to blame when a VP gets upset he (because there are no women) doensn't know something he feels he should. Hiring decisions, promotions, and the occasional contracts are awarded too often because someone "has a buddy."

Management is no help. I can't stress this enough - take your most minimum expectation of what a people manager should do and reduce it by half, then by half again, then maybe one more time - and you have the role that your manager will play in your career. I once asked for advice on how to deal with a difficult VP, one who I could not work around, and the advice from my direct manager was "oh, you don't want to deal with him." I've been told if I need help with a business partner that it cannot be escalated within my mgmt line, because the director won't help - this was then confirmed directly by him.

Treat people with a little respect - they might stick around for a while.
    Train your managers in basic skills of people management

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com