Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Based on my internship, loved my team, my project and the company vibe. Returning in the summer full time.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Freedom to do things your own way; whether its the project at hand, your attire, when you come into work, you name it. Pretty flat hierarchy from what I can tell, but I was only there for three months and I have no idea if there is any bureaucracy higher up; I was able to attend and even contribute to a number of decisive meetings with the team.

Cons

Little bit stingy; lets just say that you don't get pampered like those at Google.
I've heard sentiments of programmers feeling like resources as opposed to assets.

3934 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Work hard, have fun, make history

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Software Development in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Software Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High hiring bar and the bar is raised all the time. Keeps the company moving forward. You have the freedom to experiment and challenge existing practices, just bring data. Great executive team. They dive deep and challenge you. Make sure you are prepared.

Cons

Can be a tough environment for some. The bar keeps getting raised and some long-time employees fall below it and find themselves managed out. Unfortunately the bar is within each org which means there are pockets of deadwood floating around and not delivering resluts.

Make the review process more data oriented like the rest of our decisions. Lopping off the bottom 10% in each organization means that good people go and deadwood remain safe in other organizations.

Fast-moving and inspiring but long hours

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Brilliant people, fast-moving and industry-changing products, top-level salary vs. peers, will let you take initiative early on, pure meritocracy

Cons

slow promotions (intentionally designed that way), aggressive culture, long hours for a tech company, zero perks (not even a subsidized lunch)

Frugality is awesome, but at times it is a bit too much (e.g., subsidize the cafeteria...)

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com