There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Based on my internship, loved my team, my project and the company vibe. Returning in the summer full time.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to do things your own way; whether its the project at hand, your attire, when you come into work, you name it. Pretty flat hierarchy from what I can tell, but I was only there for three months and I have no idea if there is any bureaucracy higher up; I was able to attend and even contribute to a number of decisive meetings with the team.

Cons

Little bit stingy; lets just say that you don't get pampered like those at Google.
I've heard sentiments of programmers feeling like resources as opposed to assets.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Meat grinder that lures you in the door and then does not take any effort to develop or motivate you

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a great brand and has a loyal and growing customer base. There are very few companies like Amazon that ALWAYS insist on the highest standards and have their core tenets/leadership principles ingrained in everyone's DNA. You will learn a ton - i've been here less than a year and have a great handle on Retail, Marketing, Operations and the industry. Function of working 12-14 hours a day. Despite the long hours, every hour is very intense - another difference when comparing to other tech titans. Amazon is a great platform to learn some great things, make an impact and leave for greener pastures.

Cons

I wish even 1% of their obsession for customers would translate to its employees. All year round, I have never received a single "thank you" or "state of the union" email from any senior leadership - contrast this to any other firm where they sometimes make you feel all warm and fuzzy and motivates you to continue busting yourself and making personal sacrifices. People generally put on a ton of weight at Amazon as there is not much time for work life balance or exercise if you want to succeed. It is a dog eat dog world and there is TONS of backstabbing at all levels, esp. level 6. Some businesses are harder than others and it can get crazy as Amazon is so lean. Amazon managers tend to gloss over the good and scrutinize the bad, and it is EXTREMELY hard to get promoted (think 4+ years at the same level unless you invent the next big thing).

Advice to Management

Take time to focus on employees and not just customers. You will lower churn and make people want to develop careers (vs. platforms) at Amazon.

2. The sky's the limit if you work hard

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazon is a place where people are encouraged to look for challenges to step up to. If you're hungry and nail these opportunities, there's always more, bigger ones to keep knocking down. Top talent at Amazon is rewarded extremely well. Everybody here is scary smart. The brightest can rise fast. As far as software companies go, Amazon is definitely top tier. Our technology is unbelievable, and you won't believe some of the awesome stuff we're working on.

Cons

Benefits are just ok (probably more than offset by comp though). The environment can feel like a startup still in a few places around the company, but YMMV and you're more likely to find yourself in a division that feels corporatey. This is much less the case for engineers who are generally shielded from too much BS by their managers. Expect to work longer than 40 hours a week on most teams, in most roles. There can be slack times, but when launch approaches (or it's Q4 for anyone working near the retail website), you'll find yourself leaning in pretty hard for short bursts.

Advice to Management

Pay no attention to wall street. Those who "get" us and go long will win. Those who don't understand we plan on investing every dollar earned in innovating, delivering value, and anything else that makes customers happy, well they won't be part of this big lucrative ride.