There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Work hard

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Lots of freedom
* Lots of ability to influence the business
* Only bounds on what you do are you
* Nobody says "no"; the ethos is "just do it"
* Exposure to lots of interesting problems
* Builder culture
* Good practice for creating your own company

Cons

* Flat structure means that there's not a ton of specialization
* Not a lot of structure on many teams; need to deal with and thrive on ambiguity

Keep doing what you're doing

3489 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Love the job, dislike the politics-but thats life

Current Employee - Associate  in  San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working here. People on the night shift are awesome, hours kind of are a drag but the pay, benefits and bonus helps level that out. I am thankful for my place in Amazon but would love to be able to do more for Amazon than allowed. To be honest, in some positions the pay far exceeds the job requirements and that has a benefit most jobs can not provide. Love that!

Cons

Communication is off with management and HR.
    Certain night A.M. doesnt take time to help with certain cituations, heard lots of complaints on him already.
    Part time Amazonians are eligable for VERY few job opportunities and Full time associates are few and far between.
    Would love to be able to try differant positions or areas of the place but the word "random" is a definition I dont believe they have down yet.
    Some P.A's are fraturnizing with the associates instead of doing their job. Can be distracting and leads to poor moral.

Step up the communication!!!!
    Allow part time Amazonian associates to be involved with the company as much as full time (job opportunities in transfers).
    Get better scanners and have yourselves step into "associate role for the day" to see how it is. These scanners are slow and ridiculously annoying. Cant make rate if equipment is faulty. maybe more wireless accociation for scanners, seems that it takes time to load to server for next package to get scanned.
    Have someone JUST specified to fix pallets all shift. NOT water spider, but pallet fixer. This would cut down on our time that we have to stop scanning.
    WE HAVE A VOICE TOO AND WOULD LOVE TO EXPAND OUR ABILITIES IN AMAZON AS WELL!

A Company In Transition

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Diversity, interesting problems/challenges to solve, agility, many opportunities in various fields.

Cons

Leadership can be absent/unsupportive, constant change without data to back it up (as in "agility gone too far"), no work/life balance, ridiculous stack-ranking/performance review system.

Take a long, hard look at what your organization is doing and ask yourself if the direction makes sense or needs revision. Truly invest in transparent communication, because far too often it is the opposite. Amazon is a company that is in transition- it is getting bigger and bigger, and isn't scaling effectively in many areas, especially people management. While Amazon has long prided itself on being agile and not stuck in its ways, it has taken change for change's sake to the extreme. It's wearing on employee morale, and there has been a distinct loss of vision. Long time employees with great knowledge, ambition, and a passion for what they do are leaving in droves because the negativity and loss of balance with home/family are becoming too much to bear. In my last year with Amazon, there was a lot of discussion about remedying those, assurances that VP's/SVP's cared about those long-time people and retaining them. And it was just talk- no planning, no action, no actual analysis to see what could be done to boost morale and therefore productivity/innovation. Due to the type of job I held, I had contacts with dozens of departments- and the story was always the same. Disengaged or openly hostile leadership. Loss of vision/focus. Burned out people leaving. I still believe Amazon offers a fantastic opportunity and has many wonderful services and products to offer. Until they start to take seriously the loss of good people and the reputation they are acquiring, a downward trend seems inevitable. A culture shift is needed before it starts eating its own tail, like an Ouroboros of retail.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!