There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Great people, horrible technology

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, helpful colleagues. There was not one person there whom I disliked working with.

Excellent hardware provisioning and IT support. I was all setup within a day.

Contemporary building. Good local dining, daycare, petcare... It would be easy to get an apartment nearby and live within walking distance of all necessities.

Nice (easy to update) wiki.

Standard best practices envisioned in the training documentation.

Great opportunities to advance rapidly. If you can tolerate the outrageous inefficiencies and disarray of Amazon, the employee churn alone will advance you quickly.

Alluring sign on bonuses - up to (possibly beyond) double your salary.

Company outlook is good. Amazon has top-notch customer service. They have mastered logistics and they are a logistics company, not a technology company.

Cons

Horrible technology stack. Runtime environments and build tools proprietary bastardizations of their open source counterparts with poor/no logging. In other words: You are always working on a fragile environment that routinely goes down entirely for no apparent reason. Countless hours are burned trying to recover your environment. Tremendously disruptive because there is almost always somebody dealing with their broken environment.

Best practices are not followed:
- There are few tests, and it takes lots of hacking just to get unit tests in place (forget about IT/functional/e2e as they use prod and customers in target regions as their testing ground).
- The teams are seated in open bullpens and tasked with ever-changing-priority duties. There is such a lack of cohesion that any upfront strategy discussed with anybody varies by individual.
- There is no scrum process beyond a quick bi-weekly summary of what you completed.
- Without tests, there is no guarantee that a newly-released version set will even compile. Colleagues get the bad news upon pulling the new bundle into their environment and watching it burst into flames.

On calls. Wear a pager a few weeks a month and be available 24/7 to troubleshoot all high severity issues. Remember the 'testing' approach? The high severity alarm goes off several times a day.

Golden handcuffs: A big upfront sign on bonus paid in full that tapers off over time. Get hired, receive chunk of money, spend it, discover unpleasantries, be financially imprisoned or pay back bonus and depart.

For these reasons, Amazon has earned its reputation as a meat grinder. Developers must be able to deal with spending several days/weeks accomplishing a task that, anywhere else, would be completed in a few hours. Furthermore, the ecosystem is hacks on top of hacks. Not to mention they are eagerly looking for somebody who is willing to migrate Perl to Java.

Try not to let the schizophrenic nature of this organization affect your wellbeing.

reviews filtered by

Cutting edge technology

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging tasks.
    Sharp people to work with.
    You will always be on your toes.

Cons

On calls might be sometimes little hectic.

Need more employee feedback

2. best company I have ever worked for

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

benefits by far the biggest pro. stocks, insurance, attendance policy, low stress, what else can I say

Cons

it is kinda boring, not overly satisfying work, I mean really, we process boxes. I hope your personal life is exciting because your job won't be.

You are not the only ones with good ideas

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com