There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

unique culture

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

space for innovation and learning. love to work with smart people around

Cons

Management pressure and lack of transparency by the management

3742 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Broken management structure

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazon does an excellent job at hiring talent out of college and the onboarding process makes you feel like a part of the company and a bigger team.

Cons

The management structure is broken. Amazon doesn't know what kind of company it really wants to be and there is not enough structure or attention paid to development unless you are one of the "Pathways" MBA hires. They have created a culture of "Have" and "Have Not" among their management teams.

The sky's the limit if you work hard

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Amazon is a place where people are encouraged to look for challenges to step up to. If you're hungry and nail these opportunities, there's always more, bigger ones to keep knocking down. Top talent at Amazon is rewarded extremely well. Everybody here is scary smart. The brightest can rise fast. As far as software companies go, Amazon is definitely top tier. Our technology is unbelievable, and you won't believe some of the awesome stuff we're working on.

Cons

Benefits are just ok (probably more than offset by comp though). The environment can feel like a startup still in a few places around the company, but YMMV and you're more likely to find yourself in a division that feels corporatey. This is much less the case for engineers who are generally shielded from too much BS by their managers. Expect to work longer than 40 hours a week on most teams, in most roles. There can be slack times, but when launch approaches (or it's Q4 for anyone working near the retail website), you'll find yourself leaning in pretty hard for short bursts.

Pay no attention to wall street. Those who "get" us and go long will win. Those who don't understand we plan on investing every dollar earned in innovating, delivering value, and anything else that makes customers happy, well they won't be part of this big lucrative ride.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com