Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Employees not treated like customers

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros+ "Customer centric" is an understatement
+ Innovation (AWS, Kindle, Instant Video, etc...)
+ Freedom to move around and work for various teams and organizations
+ Amazing development, build, and deployment tools.
+ Countless new projects and the freedom to make a huge impact.
+ Smart people

Cons- Employees are not treated as well as customers.
- Horrible IC promotion process - getting promoted is a joke, especially for individual contributors at higher levels. Talent is just a minor factor. At most 20% is within your control, the rest is pretty much random luck: is your manager willing to do the hard work, is your manager experienced enough to get you promoted, is anyone else getting promoted on your team? does your organization promote engineers regularly? who do you know? who does your manager know? did you have more than one manager during the last review cycle? did you your team go through a re-org? was the project you worked on this review period "visible" enough? The company is shooting itself in the foot by not fixing this problem.
- Pager duty. Depending on the team you're on, this can have a very negative impact on your work-life balance. Your overall comp should be at least 20% higher than elsewhere to make up for oncall rotations, crazy load, unrealistic expectations, and at times brutal and uncaring management.
- "Frugal" is a euphemism for cheap. It's way overdone.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like customers. Fix the promotion process.

I have warehouse experience and forklift experience

Package Handler (Former Employee) West Columbia, SC

I worked at Amazon.com part-time for less than a year

Pros: Always stayed busy and kept myself occupied Cons: This job didn't have many cons except the part when… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

unique culture

Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: space for innovation and learning. love to work with smart… Cons: Management pressure and lack of transparency by the management More
There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!