High Pressure but fun to work with bright people

Current Employee - TPM  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - TPM in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked at several large companies, and all have had some very good people (hard working, intelligent), but many that aren't so great. The lazy or slow witted don't survive long at Amazon, if they even get in the door. That is not to say that everyone is honorable, but people are universally bright and quick moving, and I find it energizing to be around very bright people. The corporate kool-aid is a flavor I like (customer obsession, restless continual striving). The technical problems you get to work on are difficult and big, and you are encouraged to think big and solve them in the right way. You are respected for delivering results, and encouraged to stand up for your point of view (if you have data to back it up).

Cons

The volume of work piled on you can be crushing and make it difficult to prioritize your work and find time to innovate. You have to be careful not to let the masochistic culture of brutal on-call and long hours suck you into a life that is miserable. Advancement and survival can be political and treacherous. Your first and second level management holds enormous power over your future at Amazon, and due to the frequency that people switch roles or leave (I had 5 managers in my first two years) and groups reorganize, you have to be very cognizant of the political landscape and your status in the current regime. You or your group could suddenly become the stepchild in a second marriage, which could put you in the "least effective" bucket when it comes time to cull the herd. There are a lot of very smart, very ambitious people there. Some of them are also honorable, but some are not.

How will the bar raising strategy change if Amazon can no longer attract or find sufficient numbers of new talent to fill the jobs?

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

great place to start, but not to stay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very talented people all around you, ground breaking tech, tons of drive and innovation

Cons

The company does not promote an environment where you are encouraged to stick around, most people burn out very early, there is zero focus on morale.

Care as much about the people as you do about the business

Not everyone's cup of tea

Current Employee - Director  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

An openess to new ideas

Cons

no work life balance. Management not vested n helping you with your career or goals. Very few fringe benefits

Invest in your employees futures

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!