Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Great to work with the most talented ppl in an internationalized place

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. cool peers and open-minded seniors to work with
2. unique culture in terms of leadership principles to set clear benchmark of the role model
3. big name, respectable company for its innovation and customer obsession
4. standard works

Cons

1. communication across buildings/regions
2. localization to tailor particular needs of certain regions/markets

3860 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Customer obsessed yes.........employee obsessed no.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very smart people working here and the company really does have a customer obsession. The offering is way ahead and is really enabling businesses. It is great to work to sell a service that is 100% in the customers best interest - this fact alone keeps me here. It is currently the strongest offering in the market and is the leader of the Gartner MQ.

Cons

No work life balance. No respect for life away from work. Not much respect at all. Massive sales reporting overhead and ridiculous quotas. Way too much management overhead - they seem to think writing plans and reports and forecasts is somehow enabling to the bottom line. This is not a sales focused company. As a sales person you spend more time fighting internal systems and bureaucracy than you spend time selling. Comp plan looks good on paper until you see the quota to get it - they really don't want to pay sales people. Sales leadership clearly has no idea how the product set is bought, consumed or ramps. No career advancement training of any kind - actually no training at all. This place has less training for employees than anywhere I have ever been. Of course you would have no time to train anyway. I expect that most segments will miss their numbers by large margins and with luck this will mean that sales management is culled. I would also expect due to the very low moral that there will be a lot of sales person turn over. Certainly when the competition heats up I will be hunting for a more enlightened and enabling sales org.

Replace sales leadership with someone who gets what we do and understands low sales organization moral is no way to grow a business. Cutting sales people pay is really a motivational. Sure hitting accelerators should be challenging but making it impossible is not wise. Why care if we miss by 40% or 60% for the relative difference in quality of life? When the global sales person of the year leaves is that not a message?

Overall like the experience

Current Employee - Machine Learning Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Machine Learning Scientist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

a lot of opportunities to work on fun stuff with celever peopler

Cons

Life balance sucks, literally! Too fast paced!

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com