There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Depends on where you land

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Seattle, WA

Pros

There are some very challenging problems and smart people at Amazon. If you find a group with strong management and smart peers, you can learn a lot and work on satisfying problem sets.

Cons

Some groups do not have great accountability; the company can be very cheap about things like hiring QA or support engineers.

Advice to Management

Embrace the value of spending money on operational support and support engineers. Give people enough time to design things with a longer-term horizon in mind.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com

I'm enjoying it

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

Pros

Able to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Fun, friendly work environment. Interesting projects. Amazon is a very challenging workplace. You're expected to get things done very well and very quickly. There are a vast variety of projects, big and small, to work on to stretch your skills. You're not just interacting with other software developers, so you can use it as an opportunity to learn a lot about business in general and people skills.

Cons

Despite the long-term vision of the company executives, it seems that a lot of the lower-level managers have very short-term vision. They will cast your best laid plans asunder in favor of rushing out a completely new project in a very limited timespan so they have something to show in their regular meetings with top executives. As an SDE, you have to learn how to push back and get time to make a solid plan. Your developer as a programmer may be limited in terms of the developer tools you learn (and can use to pad your resume). Amazon uses a lot of proprietary developer tools. The on-call rotation is very frustrating and exhausting at times, but it's a necessary evil. It has driven people out of the company. But the severity of it is something that varies greatly from team to team.

Advice to Management

Lower-level managers: Communicate to your reports what your mid-term and long-term goals are more clearly. Push back on features/projects expected to be done within a month.

Interning at Amazon.com

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great work environment Great location Interesting tasks Amazon treated interns fantastically. They had social events for us, set us up with housing and paid well. One thing I really liked was that each intern was given a project to complete. In other Internships I've had I've just been added to a project; here I got my own.

Cons

I worked a lot of overtime. Most of it was because I'm a slow coder, but I felt like I needed to get things done so I stayed late to do it.

Advice to Management

I thought the management at Amazon was very open. It was easy to talk to people there and if they caught me staying late they invited me out for drinks.