Excellent Working Environment

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The compensation is great. The work-life balance varies, though generally is good. They take personal growth seriously: Constructive feedback given often to ensure you have a chance to reach your potential. Under the right circumstances they'll also let you work from home, which is awesome. They take the the Amazon Leadership Principles very seriously, and it's a good list. Google for it; they won't let me add a link here.

Cons

The times when management has decided on a deadline can mean overtime. This hasn't happened a lot to me yet, but it's happened once in 8 months at least.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People. Lots of interesting projects and teams to join. I never had to deal with politics (although I'm sure my managers did).

Cons

On-call support and development environments that take an eternity to setup. Sometimes it seemed like I could never get anything done between configuring a new service or dealing with on-call support.

Advice to Management

Get rid of on-call.

Great place to work hard, learn a lot, and make your mark.

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Software Development in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Software Development in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

High hiring bar so you work with really smart people. Bezos and (most of) the rest of the senior management team takes the long view, so you really are empowered to do the right thing. Customer-focused culture is pretty cool.

Cons

People work very hard and the tolerance for people who are perceived to not be contributing enough is low.

Advice to Management

Keep taking the long view!