Avoid the Kindle organization

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ships a lot in a really short time. Leading the way in digital media. Amazon talks a lot about it "still being day one" in that there is a lot of opportunity in the space they are in. That definitely is true.
I got lucky with my team for work-life balance. Compared to a lot of others, I have a pretty sane work life.

Cons

Avoid working in the Kindle organization unless you like really political environments. There are some people who are hired with the sole purpose to nag other teams to deliver on their schedule. If you think android fragmentation is bad, try dealing with Kindle internal teams. Components will make changes that break consumers and provide no backwards compatibility story besides telling people to fork their own codebase.
People in the Kindle org are very quick to pass blame to others and do things to just cover their own butt. Based on the company values, I'm very surprised that the Kindle organization behaves the way they do. They've hired too many ex-Microsoft who brought the poor culture along (see the article about Microsoft lost decade).
Promotions seem nearly impossible here too. Promotion committees are very quick to dismiss a promotion on a single peer feedback even though there is overwhelming good feedback. Also, if you do not have a lot of other people on your team at a higher level than you, you cannot get the required endorsement of someone at that level to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Fix the culture in the Kindle organization. After working with multiple teams there, they fail on almost every leadership principle frequently. The worst is that they made bad decisions for the customers.

reviews filtered by

Retail company doing High Tech

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast iterations and get job done in amazing speed
    Solving cutting edge problems general to all online services

Cons

Most top talents l know leave company in 12-18 months, merits increase is a joke if no promo

Advice to Management

Try not to treat tech folks as Walmart to its employees.

Resume Builder

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazon provides unique opportunities for people to solve complex problem in a very fast-paced environment.

Cons

Work-life balance is non-existent and most roles are incredibly competitive, If you work there be prepared to do all the heavy lifting yourself or self-promote because the value of your efforts will not be noticed if you work as a team.

Advice to Management

Promote women to upper levels of management.