Big impact work, great team, no work life balance

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager III  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Technical Program Manager III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart, highly motivated team, initiatives that have direct customer impact, high visibility in the organization. Own your product end-to-end from conception to implementation to delivery to maintenance.

Cons

Very aggressive goals, no work life balance. Boss works harder than me because boss has more agressive goals. Company expects to work hard, work smart and work long hours. All teams own online services and you are never off work if you are the manager. Need to invest in a support org for live issues that pop up in the middle of the night.

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

Very labor intensive.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate  in  San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, could be better.

Cons

Apply directly through Amazon. Do Not go through a staffing agency, it takes forever to get converted.

Learn to delegate and stop flexing up every single shift, it is really uncool to have a scheduled shift where you may have to work an hour more or less everyday. Most sane people like to go home when their shift is scheduled to end.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

So many pros, I'll do this bullet point style so this doesn't get too long:
    - Ability to work from home
    - Flexible schedules, ability to work 4 10 hour shifts and that means a lot of time off (3 days off every week is awesome!)
    - Great work life balance (I know a lot of people say Amazon doesn't have this, however I think this is highly dependent on what team you work in and the manager you have, i'm fortunate enough to have both a great team and manager)
    - Pretty good compensation (amazon believes in total compensation, I will go into further details in cons)
    - Learn a ton on the job and have access to the latest and greatest in Cloud Computing
    - Occasional free food including free breakfast cereals most of the month
    - Lots of very smart people to learn from and collaborate with
    - Opportunity to advance, after working one year you are free to apply for any job in the company...you are really only limited by your own ambition and hard work at Amazon.
    - Helping fix customer problems makes me happy, but I might be weird
    - You are always empowered to fight for and help the customer, which makes it easy to do your job

Cons

- "Frugality" can sometimes go too far, employee perks don't match up with the Googles and Facebooks of the world. This is across the board. They are decent with perks, but not great.
    - Total compensation means that you will always be paid in both stock and salary, and while its nice to own stock in a good company, it can also be used against you because the RSUs take 2 years to vest, and you can run into situations where because you were previously given a vest, you will not get another one even though it might be warranted (raise, promotion, etc). the continual 2 year vests can also seem like golden handcuffs.
    - Working in Premium Support at times can feel like a call center; you have set times when you need to be available for phones and chats and that can sometimes be aggravating.

Always make sure to hire and staff a SURPLUS of support engineers to be available to handle all the calls/chats/email cases. It is crucial to continually hire and develop the best candidates in order to stay ahead of customer demand and ensure a positive and well functioning org. With how fast AWS is growing (and specifically support), Less is definitely not More in this situation.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!