Mostly good experience

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ownership, high impact, fast moving, innovative, lots to choose from, not as political as other cos.

Cons

pay and promotion, lack of training opportunities

reviews filtered by

Long hard climb.

Current Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Chester, VA
    Current Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Chester, VA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are fast paced, willing to sweat..a lot, and can make it through 'boot camp' (the first 4-6 weeks) you can pretty much work for them for as long as you like. you just have to keep up a fast pace..no slowing down. If you shine often and work harrrdddd you will get noticed.

Cons

At Tier I you will have very little access to your manager, training beyond the initial orientation, and resources unless you are willing to go in on your own time and explore because if you are dormant for more than 5 minutes you are in trouble. However if you do take the time to do that, the resources are fairly wide open on the intranet, but you are NEVER told at Tier I how to access them, and if you bring what you have learned up, you will get looks like "how do YOU know that, or the Tier IV managers will get pissed you know something they don't. PS they did away with Tier II, so if you do get to be more than a drone with added responsibilities, you will not get paid for it unless you magically jump to tier III.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of confusion at Tier I. Many times the different managers have totally different ways of doing things and this is a symptom of a greater problem. There is no clear advancement path from Tier I to the higher tiers unless a manager just happens to take favor with you. I assume that this is what tier II used to be for. Clear and concise directions, expectations, and training are missing at Tier I if you want to advance. I recommend that they restore Tier II and use it for those associates that shine at Tier one when they have a secondary task added. Have written descriptions of the secondary jobs and hoe those job interlink for particular paths of advancement. Also, when additional tasks are added a small increase in pay should be given. Because much of the normal advancement steps are missing, you must jump up the corporate ladder, and you'll only make it if you have someone who favors you personally because there is no tracking of training and evaluation in those step positions. If you talk to a Fulfillment Center Tier V or VI, ask them how many of their tier IV managers came from lower Tiers. Most will say none.

Great company, okay employer

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is the big gorilla in retail and clearly knows what it's doing. This is a hugely successful company, and it's already great to work someplace that is growing and doing new things all the time.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy and rigidity. Casual dress code, but otherwise quite corporate.
    A large portion of compensation comes in stock, which is great but locks you in (because of the 4-year vest).
    And you need to be in Seattle to succeed in the long-term (a warning for non-Seattle employees).