There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Fast Paced warehouse environment

Current Employee - Area Manager in Patterson, CA
Current Employee - Area Manager in Patterson, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Move anywhere in the country

Cons

Work life balance.
Small fish in a big pond

Don't forget who pays the bills

3666 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

So many pros, I'll do this bullet point style so this doesn't get too long:
    - Ability to work from home
    - Flexible schedules, ability to work 4 10 hour shifts and that means a lot of time off (3 days off every week is awesome!)
    - Great work life balance (I know a lot of people say Amazon doesn't have this, however I think this is highly dependent on what team you work in and the manager you have, i'm fortunate enough to have both a great team and manager)
    - Pretty good compensation (amazon believes in total compensation, I will go into further details in cons)
    - Learn a ton on the job and have access to the latest and greatest in Cloud Computing
    - Occasional free food including free breakfast cereals most of the month
    - Lots of very smart people to learn from and collaborate with
    - Opportunity to advance, after working one year you are free to apply for any job in the company...you are really only limited by your own ambition and hard work at Amazon.
    - Helping fix customer problems makes me happy, but I might be weird
    - You are always empowered to fight for and help the customer, which makes it easy to do your job

Cons

- "Frugality" can sometimes go too far, employee perks don't match up with the Googles and Facebooks of the world. This is across the board. They are decent with perks, but not great.
    - Total compensation means that you will always be paid in both stock and salary, and while its nice to own stock in a good company, it can also be used against you because the RSUs take 2 years to vest, and you can run into situations where because you were previously given a vest, you will not get another one even though it might be warranted (raise, promotion, etc). the continual 2 year vests can also seem like golden handcuffs.
    - Working in Premium Support at times can feel like a call center; you have set times when you need to be available for phones and chats and that can sometimes be aggravating.

Always make sure to hire and staff a SURPLUS of support engineers to be available to handle all the calls/chats/email cases. It is crucial to continually hire and develop the best candidates in order to stay ahead of customer demand and ensure a positive and well functioning org. With how fast AWS is growing (and specifically support), Less is definitely not More in this situation.

A lot of work, but satisfying for those who enjoy it.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great cardio workout if you're on the floor. people have been fun and enjoyable for the most part. If you get a blue badge the opportunities are seemingly endless.

Cons

Hours during peak season can be a bit much, I hardly saw my family over the holiday season last year. I've heard a lot of things that are said will happen to better the working experience but are nowhere in sight.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com