There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Generally satisfied Amazonian here...but I can only speak for my team

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As mentioned in the title, I've only worked on one team at Amazon, and it is in the context of a new/secret project, so I'm not sure my experiences are representative of the company as a whole. That being said:

- Fast pace
- Plenty of responsibility
- End-to-end project ownership
- Smart co-workers

Cons

- Not the most "positive vibe"
- Collaboration with other teams can be a bit adversarial (I guess this is a slightly less vague example of my first con)
- Work environment: open work space (lots of interruptions), frequent moving (on a rapidly-growing team, anyway), dearth of conference rooms
- Focus on code quality tends to lapse severely in the face of totally arbitrary deadlines -- and isn't usually accounted for at all during planning

reviews filtered by

Pays well. Depends on your team.

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pays well.
    They cover housing for you, bringing your intern salary to about 100k if full time.
    Opportunity to learn a lot.
    Flexible work schedule. (can come in late. can work from home. can leave early if you need to)
    Tons of smart people
    Employees care about the customer
    You get full disclosure on your performance
    real work as an intern - your team will give you a project to work on that they had on the back-burner but still want done

Cons

The pros are largely universal. The cons will depend on your team.
    If you have a great team, you'll have a great time. If you have a crappy team, you'll have a crappy time. I'm basing this off of what I know about my team versus what other interns told me about their teams.
    Either way, you'll need to be assertive. Ask questions. Get help when you don't know something. General rule is spend 30 mins trying to figure something out. Then if you haven't, go ahead and ask a someone with more experience.
    Your project may not be defined. You will have to get it defined. (i.e. figure out what you have to do for it to be complete). It can be hard to communicate with superiors as an intern, assuming you have little prior experience. A thought I basically had "I am inexperienced. I do not want to annoy anyone. I'll just try to figure this out on my own." This is incorrect. Your boss will know that already. Go ahead and don't be shy and you'll avoid lots of the problems.
    You may have to work longer hours depending on your project.

Good Company

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Haslet, TX
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Haslet, TX

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Better than average hourly rates; work/life balance depends on you; a most bodacious experience; always maintain a positive attitude.

Cons

It really is hard work. You are expected to perform within certain parameters which are not unreal expectations.

Remain positive and proactive for your employees. Remember THEY make YOU look good.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com