Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Great place to intern. Be ready for frugality though and you will love it !

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great access to work across the company. Very smart people and a great place to start your career. Most managers are accessible and make time to discuss your work and how your time in the company has been

Cons

Work life balance is a decision on how fast you want to grow vs how relaxed you want to be. Also, ON CALL DUTY is really terrible for certain teams. So cross your fingers !!

3960 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Great job if you can physically and emotionally handle it.

Former Employee - Packing in Lebanon, TN
    Former Employee - Packing in Lebanon, TN

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked in fulfillment center. Good pay and benefits for full timers. Fun job with equally fun coworkers from all walks of life.

Cons

They work you like human robots. Constant pressure to keep up your numbers. Numbers seem unattainable to all but a very few.

More smiles. Less numbers.

A duplicitous and scurrilous employer which will crush your soul and drain your human capital.

Former Employee - Research Scientist II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only reason to work here is that it will improve your future prospects of getting a better job elsewhere. Recruiters know that Amazon has a high hiring bar and employees are motivated to leave. In rare cases and for rare individuals, you will have the opportunity to build something awesome; for everyone else, it is duct tape and bailing wire to survive Christmas.

Cons

If you can work somewhere else, you most likely should.

To start with, the work environment is soul crushing and more stressful than working in an airport terminal. The noise level is so great that you will need to wear headphones throughout the day. I worked in buildings which were so overcrowded that you often had to wait for three elevators to find one you could squeeze onto. I am sure that they were in violation of the fire code.

For scientists, you will drain your human capital and have little opportunity to learn new skills or deepen your knowledge. Don't even ask about getting Amazon to pay for journal subscription -- you are expected to scrounge papers from friends still in academia or off the Internet. The "mentors" I had were largely useless and it is virtually impossible to earn a promotion without superhuman efforts, i.e., having no work-live balance. In addition, there is a culture of micromanagement which comes down from the top. This attitude makes it difficult to research and to solve important problems which are costing the company millions. And, this is not limited to a single manger -- I had five in two years, all of whom were worse than any manager I had in my 25-year career prior to Amazon.

When you attempt to make changes, it can take six months or more of politicking and fighting the Agile/scrum schedule to launch your improvement into production. Amazon takes the leadership principles seriously, but "Deliver Results" and "Bias for Action" trump everything, even correctness. No one seems to remember who made $50MM mistakes, but they do remember who didn't deliver the XYZ feature on time by giving up endless evenings and weekends.

Next, read the fine print on everything you sign. Amazon has many pernicious ways of clawing back money from you when you leave, e.g., you must stay two years to avoid repaying relocation expenses and you will only receive matching contributions to your 401(k) if you stay three years.

In addition, the infrastructure is "frugal" and often unreliable. If you work in retail and need to run a query in Q4, it can take a day or more to run.

Finally, when the market turns against Amazon -- and it will -- the stock will take a major haircut because of the insane P/E ratio.

Employees are stakeholders, too -- investing in them should payoff. Most of the MBAs I encountered make the work environment worse and are huge waste of salary: they could easily be replaced, in most cases, by software and B-grade undergraduates, who at least would know how to write SQL.

During my exit interview, the HR contact asked me why turnover was so high and what could be done to improve retention -- she was utterly clueless!

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com