There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

great company for consumers

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented people, downtown/near-downtown location.
Different teams can feel very different. But overall they hold similar culture.
If you are lucky and find a reasonable team, you might be able to enjoy it. But not so much for other teams.

Cons

it's better to be a customer than an employee.
no work life balance. management expects you to work late.
uncompetitive compensation.
on-call.
political issue. This can be nasty sometimes.

3498 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Fulfillment Associate

Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate (Seasonal)  in  Haslet, TX
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate (Seasonal) in Haslet, TX

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pass the drug test you are hired, they put a lot of people in the system. They give you personal days to use at your discretion from day one. If you like wearing jeans, t-shirts and tennis shoes you will love it at Amazon. The warehouse is climate controlled.

Cons

They profile people as to what job they will do, and how they promote. If you are young, white, preppy type you are way ahead of the game. Just look around at the people in management positions. Seasonal workers hire on making less money per hour then people with permanent positions, doing the same exact job. Seasonal workers don't get the monthly bonuses, even though they are needed to make the monthly quota. Their incentive is that one day they may become permanent and get these benefits. You will more then likely be let go before this happens and before your medical benefits kick in.

Company concept is awesome, so sad it isn't available to all.

An exercise in frustration

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Pay is very good for an internship.

Projects are generally important, but relatively small (compared to full time employees) features or services. In general, they seem more important than projects interns at other companies talk about getting.

Lots of opportunities and events hosted for interns to learn about other parts of the company or learn in general.

Smart coworkers.

Frequent events and talks on interesting subjects across the company.

Cons

Due to unique circumstances, I ended up being expected to complete a full-summer project in only half the time any other intern had, due to issues with my original project.

Corporate housing can be very difficult, I ended up in a hotel without a way to do laundry or cook food (only a 1.3 cu ft. mini-fridge and a coffee pot) with a meal-plan for breakfast/dinner only that didn't fully cover the cost of food at that hotel (pricey, exclusive club hotel). Ended up spending quite a bit of money eating out to avoid eating the same 4 things from their menu all the time. Hotel offered dry-cleaning at $8/shirt and $10-16/pair of pants and no laundromat in the area. (Didn't know about the laundry until I arrived)

Management frequently changed their minds on aspects of my 2nd project that prevented me from making progress at all for the first few weeks.

No training for team-specific tools (on my team at least) and methods, only the general training for new employees which wasn't enough for either of my projects.

Poor documentation of many of the existing systems, making it difficult to learn how they work and how to use them.

Full-time employees frequently work weekends in addition to 50-60+ hour work weeks during normal working days.

Seeing full-time employees on pager duty looks terrible (the hours they end up being in the office and woken up in the middle of the night/on weekends would eat up nearly 100% of anyone's spare time).

Parking at the office is not free or paid for by the company. Parking costs quite a bit more than the amount you can file to have reimbursed every month. (I didn't bring a car to avoid this issue, in addition to parking at corporate housing not being paid for at all.)

Pay is on a monthly basis, plan ahead for your start date if you don't have enough money going in to pay for food/parking/laundry.

HR - pay closer attention to the hotels you choose; stranding an intern without a way to clean their clothes isn't cool (or at least inform them that laundry facilities aren't at their hotel when it is assigned so they can plan ahead)

Managers - plan the project ahead of time, it gets very confusing to have things get changed on a daily basis for the first few weeks on the project because it wasn't planned out.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!