Amazon.com

Not So Glamorous

Former Employee - Area Manager in Fernley, NV
Former Employee - Area Manager in Fernley, NV

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Decent pay, decent benefits. You can move up in the ranks if you are willing to throw people under the bus and use buzz words such as green-belt, six-sigma, standard deviation even though you don't really understand them completely.

Cons

Company motivates employees with fear and pressure. Senior management pressures associates and managers to just get the job done without offering any help or guidence. This is because the system is broken and they don't have the answers either. But instead of realizing this, they will throw you under the bus any chance they get because they fear for their reputation.

Because the business model of Amazon includes very tight margins on their products, the company tries to save money everywhere; as a result, the facilities are run like sweat shops and associates are treated like slaves. In addition, equipment is very rickety and often creates safety hazards for workers.

While the pay is decent, as a manager you will end up working so much overtime that your salary will be comparable to an hourly associate's (again, part of the business plan to cut costs). The retention rate for Area Managers is ridiculous--something like 2-3 months. And the reason they like to hire military is because they know veterans are likely to put up with more crap than their civilian coutnerparts. My guess is if they didn't hire military, the retention rate would be right at about 1 week.

Don't be fooled by the name Amazon and the appeal that it seems to carry because it is an "innovative" dot com company. Instead, think "Online Walmart" who is actually one of their biggest (if not biggest) competitors.

There's really no hope. My advice would be to get a new job if you believe in karma or would like to have a clear conscience.

4368 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Growing..bumps along the way

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Growth and opportunity, if you're willing to swing away without giving up.
    More potential than any other company I have ever touched (consulting or working for).
    Long term success of the company. I truly believe that this company is very strong and will be amongst the giants soon.

Cons

Too much ego. folks that have been with Amazon for a few years have a better than thou complex.
    Lot's of smart people, but lacking a warrior ethos.
    Focus on external customer is maniacal, but internal is missing.
    Work Hard. Make History. Yes, I believe! Have Fun....ok, if it's up to me to do it on my own.

Hire more leaders. You can train and develop technical, if you build that department some day. You cannot create natural leaders. Go find some more.

Great opportunity if you're hardworking

Current Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

-Lots of responsibility
    -Good pay for an internship
    -A great chance at career advancement within Amazon
    -Internship is well wortht the stress

Cons

-Difficult to obtain access to managers
    -Amazon does not hold your hand, you will simply have to figure most things out
    -Will feel extremely overwhelming in the beginning

More training for interns, but keep up the challenging atmosphere. Also please hire a more diverse pool of finance interns; right now it feels homogenous!

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com