Great Job, Not For Everyone

Current Employee - Area Manager in Fernley, NV
Current Employee - Area Manager in Fernley, NV

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Company is fast paced and very dynamic. You are afforded the ability to work with some very intelligent people and some very hard working people. The opportunity for growth is huge as the company is constantly growing.

Cons

You are at the mercy of the customer/business needs. This is only a con if you are not willing to buy into the company and share a common goal. There is a high probability of working nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

So far I am very satisfied with my managers. I have heard of less competent managers, but I have had no business interaction with them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Bar keeps getting raised - Very Political

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Challenging environment, which is changing from an enterprise level Biz dev environment into full on call center

Cons

Very political, where you feel like a cog in a machine. The management seems to think that tenured employees are very replaceable. Lots of political nonsense which creates a general lack of morale.

Advice to Management

Stop the attrition, focus on development of your employees. We're not replaceable and the overall work environment is getting steadily worse with each employee that leaves.

Great place to work but...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Lots of very smart talented people around Opportunity to make products used by millions around the world Working on new, interesting technologies Startup-ish and agile, far less bureaucracy than in other big companies

Cons

Developers are not valued as much as in other places Agile often turns into "ridiculously disorganized" Raises are relatively low Worst benefits I've ever seen

Advice to Management

When you and recruiters complain about how hard it is to find good people consider that many 'good people' simply don't apply or respond to Amazon. Mainly because of the bad rep it accrued due to issues mentioned above. Start treating developers better and improve the benefits.